Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2007 E-150 intermittent starting been doing it off and on of

Customer Question
Hey pearl, JA: What is the...
Hey pearl,
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 E-150 intermittent starting been doing it off and on for couple of years everything except the radio power windows and overhead light works the key turns and the fuel pump responds but the engine won't turnover then we've waited up to a full day and turn the key and it is like nothing was ever wrong I stopped last night to replace a fuse because my instrument panel wasn't working I found a 15 amp fuse was blown replaced it and it wouldn't turn over this has been going on for a couple of years I checked all fuses none blown.dont know what.its happened several times I just wait 1/2 hour is shortest time up to 1-1/2 days longest time and it just starts like nothing was ever wrong?
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: Where and why would it turn over after just sittin awhile
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all fuses last year tried changing one of the relays under the hood and a part under dash near steering coloum and did nothing just all of a sudden you'll turn the key and bam it starts sometimes goes 8 to 9 months no problem and suddenly it happens
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing can be caused by several things and to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing starting first with scanning the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting. I have enclosed the pinpoint test you can run while the problem is occurring as well. See it in the link below. If you find a fault code after the scan, post back with it and perhaps we can narrow the test steps down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20crank%20Jul%203.pdf

See the starter wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference as well in this link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Start%20circuit%20Jul%203.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool cause I'm still at a loss. I thought if we put the key in the on position and jump it that it would start but it didn't both fuel pumps kick in it turns over but it won't start have you read the past information or should I send it again ? Thank you Ron
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Once again were in the middle of no where can not do testing Ron

Okay so you saying it cranks over but dose not start or dose it not crank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it does not start the key doesn't turn the truck over period but when the key is on we can turn it over by the starter but it won't run only turns over

Okay in order to for the engine to start and run you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors and proper fuel pressure. Unfortunately with out doing some testing to determine which you are lacking its going to be very hard to determine the fix.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How does it fix itself over the course of yrs but not this time

I am suspecting you have a connection problem some place causing an intermittent concern. Tracing it down while it will not start would be the next correct step.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll get an diagnostic tester,but what if something between the 60 amp fuse in engine compartment that runs the 10 amp interior fuse that runs the diagnostics,and 4 other components is screwed up in the path?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well

Is the DCL not allowing you to scan the system?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician