How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Penland Your Own Question
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 6574
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Type Your Ford Question Here...
A. Penland is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is water leaking into the front passenger side floor

Customer Question

there is water leaking into the front passenger side floor board on my 2001 Ford Excursion. I suspect it is coming from the window seal area above the grab handle as the water appears to be dripping from the grab handle on the A-pillar, but I may be wrong. this a common issue and is there an easy fix you can recommend? We do not have a sunroof. There also appears to be rust on the exterior top of the metal above the windshield and on the passenger side rocker panel under the right front (passenger) door.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Not coming from under the dash or the engine compartment. I think it is higher up on the vehicle.
JA: What is the model of your '01 Ford?
Customer: Excursion limited 4x4 deisel (7.3l)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I do most work myself. Just wondering if this was a common issue and therefore there was a commen repair recommendation.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No other
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

We have seen windshield seals leak, but if you have rust forming at the top of the passenger side of the windshield, more than likely, there is rust building up under the windshield. You can tape the area off and use a water hose to test for the leak to see if it is stopped. The only common problem we have seen is leaks caused by sunroof drain tubes stopping up. Not from rust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the tape works, what should I do for a more permanent fix? Wife doesn't like idea of tape on top of the car as a complete solution... is a windshield seal something avg shadetree mechanic can complete or should I consider caulk of some sort. I have a feeling that wouldn't look great either, unless you have a good recommendation on best way to do that. I would like to do the work myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get a few pics to you tomorrow if that would help.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The windshield seal is part of the windshield along with the urethane they use to seal the windshield to the vehicle. But, yes please send pictures. Post them on this page.