Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I live in Las Vegas Nevada where summer time weather gets in

Customer Question
the 110 degrees for at...
I live in Las Vegas Nevada where summer time weather gets in the 110 degrees for at least 5 months at an time . I have a 1985 Ford XLT Bronco with a 351windsor 4 barrel carb/ac equipped 4x4. If the weather is in the 80's to 90's and the truck is moving the ac cools great but if the temp gets in the 100's or above it runs hot even if the ac is off. The Bronco has a 1 year old Ford rebuilt engine,new tranny/new radiator/new ac compressor/new hoses/new radiator cap/ new thermostat/fresh antifreeze/and the condenssor,collector,expansion valve have also been replaced. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO KEEP THIS BEAST COOL? I know there must be a way because new vehicles dont have this issue if they are working correctly.PLEASE HELP!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

can you send me a picture of the radiator fan set up an d uploaded here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its the stock original setup. condenser then radiator mechanical fan driven by the water pump.dont actually have a photo but if youve worked vehicles this age you probably seen it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you have any ideas as to how to keep it cooler?
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, does the fan apear to push good airflow? Is it an older fan clutch?

Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Make sure the fan clutch isn't worn.

Also upgrade the water pump and get a larger radiator. The radiator shop can assist you with that for the radiator won't be a stock one. They have options for an extra core radiator which will help you a lot in this situation. Replace the thermostat if it hasn't been replaced in awhile. Also, use a fan shroud if you don't have one or add plastic pieces in the large open areas under the hood for the engine.

I'm in Florida where we get to 98 with high humidity and our heat is like this year round almost. This is what we do to keep the older vehicles cool.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for the tips, I know you can't see the truck so let me give you what I've done so far. 1) has a full plastic fan shroud. 2) Has I believe a 4core radiator that seems to flow well. Is there a specific type or style or water pump I should ask for.Is it a stock pump or after market? The thermostat is a good idea I haven't put a new one in since I replaced the engine with a new Ford engine in 2011.
Any other ideas? I was considering an electric fan mounted to the front of the radiator, what do you think?

Electric fan would help.

Checking the original fan clutch to make sure it isn't worn will help as well. You want it to be tight and not spin very easily.

Water pump is aftermarket. Look for a high volume one through Summit Racing. They average around $70 to as much as $300. Look for the FlowKooler 1650 that runs around 100. It send 3 times the volume though the engine and works really well. That is what you use on the engines here and they run 30 degrees cooler on average.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for not only the tips but the part names and where to get them. Now may be a perfect time to do all that stuff as my fan belt broke on the way home causing the power steering belt to jump so.... guess i got some work to do. I'll update you after I get it all done. Thanks again,I'll be sure to give you good feedback.

You're welcome.

Let me know how it does.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just looking at your parts list and wondering if the fan clutch is loose what do I replace it with? Can you buy them new?

The fan clutch will be cheaper at your local parts store. You can buy them new and they will run about $60 or less. I've seen them as low as $19.99 at times.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Jeremy its greg again! i worked on the beast and found that the power steering /water pump belt got knocked off. Put it back and filled the radiator with new coolant and I'll be damned if the thing doesn't run almost as cool as in the winter. In regards ***** ***** fan clutch, should I be able to turn it by hand at all? If so about how far? Inch to 2 inches? Checked on the hi-flow pump and it's on the way.

It should be tight and when the engine is hot, it should take force to move it. If it feels loose and you can spin it like the price is right wheel, it needs to be replaced.

In other words, you go to spin it and you take your hand off, it should stop instantly. There should be no free spin at all

Jeremy
Jeremy