HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2000 Ford E250 4.2 Van. Hard starting, overdrive

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 Ford E250 4.2 Van. Hard starting, overdrive light flashing, I'm assuming it's in limp mode because it sputters bad like it's misfiring. But the strange thing is if you switch the ignition key off and on quickly it runs fine for about 8sec and then it goes into limp mode. My code reader is pulling the following codes:
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what codes are you getting, that information didnt post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P1000,P1747,P1760,P1747
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok both transmission codes indicate a fault with the transmission Electronic Pressure Control solenoid circuit. It is a short for the circuit,commanding minimal line pressure. If this is a 4R70W transmission, it is an issue with the solenoid in the trans, the internal wiring or wiring to the PCM or PCM itself. Misfiring would be a totally different engine running issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK but the transmission shifts fine it just doesn't have any power and if you switch the key on and of it runs perfect for about 8sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I test the pcm?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

With it setting EPC codes, Id suspect a problem with the epc solenoid or internal trans wiring, the trans bulkhead connector can leak fluid and cause a short circuit. Unplug the trans main connector at the right rear of the trans and check for fluid inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK give me sec to check that
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I took the bulk head connector off and it looked clean no signs or fluid
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Then I would suspect an issue with the solenoid itself inside the trans and the internal wire harness should also be replaced along with the sensor. Drop the pan and inspect for metal debris, If there is metal, then there is an internal transmission failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that would effect how the engine runs
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Only if the transmission was causing an issue dragging, not spinning properly. A misfire could be anything from a failed coil, spark plug wire, lack of compression. EGR port plugged up. Many different possibilities that would have to be further diagnosed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK because figuring out why the engine is running bad is my main concern. There are no engine codes coming up that seems to relate to why the engine sputters upon acceleration. I have replaced the coil, wires,plugs,fuel filter,fuel pum, Maf and tested the tps
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Block off the egr vacuum supply, if the misfire goes away (assuming its under a load at highway speeds) then the egr ports are plugged up in the lower intake manifold. The upper intake manifold would need to be removed to clean the ports. If it still has a misfire and it runs rough at an idle, it could be an injector flow issue, or valvetrain issue. A compression test would need to be done to check the base engine condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK forgot to mention the egr was replaced a few months ago...I just disconnected the vacuum line to it and raised the rpms and it idles fine but when you apply gas it hesitates and sputters like it's not getting enough fuel. Why do you think when I cycle the ignition key it runs fine for about 8sec
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Not the egr valve, the runner ports for the egr system in the intake. The transmission can be trying to stall running at minimum line pressure

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the question remains open until it is rated, if you need more help let me know.