Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Misfiring on cylinder 4 on a 2000 mercury grand marquis code

Customer Question

Misfiring on cylinder 4 on a 2000 mercury grand marquis code po304
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: No I haven't. It hasn't stalled but keeps chugging it seems like it may stall but hasn't. Check engine light is on and sometimes beeps and blinks while driving
JA: What is the model of your '00 Ford?
Customer: Grand marquis LS
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I've replaced all plugs and checked resistance on coils and injectors all seem fine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Took number 4 injector out and cleaned it but no change still missing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the coil has failed. Swap #4 coil with another cylinder to see if misfire follows coil if so you know it is the problem and needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switched coil 4 with 2 and the code went to 2. Changed the bad coil out. It seemed like it ran better at first but it's running the same as before I switched the coils out. But now it's says cylinder 2 misfiring
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Swap around coil #2 with another cylinder to see if misfire follows, if so replace. Sometimes there can be multiple coils failing at the same time. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swapped coils and it stays with cylinder 2
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Next thing I'd do is a compression test to see if cylinder 2 is about the same as the rest, if so replace the injector. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't been able to do a compression test yet. I don't have the tools but working on it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, just let me know when you get a chance. Thanks!