Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Check charging system light turns on, The battery is a

Customer Question
check charging system light turns...
check charging system light turns on
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: The battery is a one-year-old
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Ford expedition four-wheel-drive
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hopefully myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I change the alternator last year as well and a light sometimes flicker on and off in the dashboard
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

One of two things cause this, a weak battery that still starts your car or an alternator that is not fully charging the battery. The light IS your warning that one of these is bad. You can have these both tested for free at most parts stores.

thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor