Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2000 f450 v10 24 ft motorhome. on our last trip the

Customer Question
I have a 2000 450...
I have a 2000 450 v10 24 ft motorhome. On our last trip the engine stopped while driving on the freeway. Got it off the hi way and tried restarting it and it started up but could smell something hot so shut engine off and crawled under RV and the catalytic converter was white hot. Let it cool down and restarted it and the engine ran smooth but when trying to drive it it would only go about 15 miles per hour. We towed it to a shop and replaced converter and then it would get up to about 50 miles per hour but it took a long distance and no real power. Put the analyzer on it and the left bank was not working so we replaced the computer and the coil on the # ***** spark plug was burned out and replaced it. It ran perfect. The next morning we went to leave and tried to start it and the engine just spun and would not start. Called the mechanic back he put computer on it and it would not respond so we thought the new computer was bad so put the old computer back in and it started right up. Sent computer back and ordered another one. Finally we were on the road again and over next few days traveled around 1500 miles in temperatures around 80 to 100 degrees in Nevada and then we got back into cooler temps in Oregon and cool nights and when I tried to start it would just spin but not start. Called mechanic and waited all day for him to get there and kept trying to start it, he finally got there and I had the hood up and he went over and touched the battery cables and said usually the problem is poor ground. Then he tried starting it and it started right up so he cleaned battery cables. The next morning again it would not start and he came back over and he had no communication with the computer. So he checked battery terminals again and the one clamp had a crack half way up so replaced the terminal clamp and it started up so we figured we had the problem solved. Went on our way home and had one more night out and the next morning before breaking camp I tried to start engine first and it took right off. We had our breakfast and than got ready to go and all the engine would do is spin or turn over but not start. I tried shaking wires and then shaking the ignition and it took off. We are still having the same problem. I try to start it and the engine spins but dosen't start and the engine check light stays on. I will turn ignition to accessories and back and forth a few times and then try to start it and sometimes it will turn over and engine check light will go out and it starts right up. The other thing I'm realizing is that once it stars and you drive it you can go all day with multiple shut downs and restarts but after it cools down over night is when the problem occurs. I hope this helps. George
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The engine turns over and the battery is very new.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 450 v10 24 ft motorhome with 58,000 miles
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just what I have told you so far you so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Good details George. Are you going to attempt to diagnose and fix this yourself?

Can you see if there are stored codes?

Can you get it into a no start event so we can do diag when it will crank but not start?

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician