Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

2006 Ford Freestyle AWD. Had a varmint chew the rear wiring

Customer Question

2006 Ford Freestyle AWD. Had a varmint chew the rear wiring harness bundle. Had ABS, Trac control warning, low brake fluid and constant on parking brake light. I thought I fixed all wires. Low Brake fluid message and parking brake light still on. Fluid is full, brakes as usual. I tested the brake fluid sensor (short on pins 2 and 3). Could i have missed a wire at that bundle? Is there a way to test that continuity to the 4 wire harness in the rear?
JA: How old are your brakes? When was the brake fluid last changed?
Customer: brake pads are good, i topped off the fluid yesterday. The problems started when the harness was chewed.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, i will fix myself. I repaired the two wire cable from the driver side rear passenger sensor (that cleared the trac control and ABS). I thought i repaired the 4 wire connector at the harness junction. I topped off the brake fluid.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I need a wire harness diagram from that junction to its out puts to check continuity.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.
Hi I' m Chad . Welcome to JustAnswer . I m reviewing your question and I will post your reply ASAPI m going to look up the wiring diagrams for the ABS and send the diagrams, is it possible to get a picture of the area of wiring that was repairedThank You
Chad (akaCustomer
This the ABS module connector pin out , we need to test from here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, hello. What I really need is the wiring diagram from the Brake Fluid level sensor to where ever it goes. The Brake Fluid sensor appears to work as i get a short on pins 2 and 3 with fluid full and an open on pins 1 and 2. So i believe that somewhere between that sensor and where ever that signal goes is open. Attached is a pic of the chewed wire harness, I fixed those wires. The only 2 fails now are Low Brake Fluid Level digital warning on the odometer screen and the constant Parking break on warning light which I believe is connected to the Low Fluid warning. Another OBD reading showed an error that the module was getting unknown error messages (I can't remember the code). The one connector (2 wires) is the Rear Left Speed Sensor, the other one (4 wires) has the other rear speed sensor and 2 other wires.

hey how are you

ok got you let me see what i have on it

and get back to you and post the diagram on here .

Chad

This is what i found really quick ( the connector pin out) for you hopefully i can find the circuit itself for the brake fluid sensor , i m sure it is connected to others stuff

but this is telling you the pin and wire color and what you expect to see on each wire as far , voltage. ground extra...

i will research it and see what diagram i can find on it for you

Chad(aka -Customer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,,thanks

i m having a hell of time finding the wiring diagram for the brake switch , i will be tommorow , i m going to my friend at ford dealer ,see if he got better schematics

I will let you know tomorrow, he is not working today

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey thanks Chad,,i see a wiring diagram i can get for $39 on ebay...
Hey
Wait till the morning ,if I cant get it ,then order it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,,,if soo i need a refund from here

yes sure that would be no problem, i will just send it tomorrow to customer service and get you a refund if i cant get it for you

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, i was feeling around the wire harness coming from the brake fluid sensor and i believe i have found the broken wire, there are 2 connectors to the right of the brake fluid reservoir if you follow the wires from the brake fluid level sensor it goes into a branch that has 2 other branches. 1 goes to the side of the brake fluid separator(2) and lower connector seems to go into the Fire wall.. It is the second bundle that seems to have a exposed wire from the feel of it. I have no idea how to get those 2 connectors off so can inspect and repair the wire. Any ideas?

can you send me a picture of it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, attached is a picture showing the exposed main harness and the smaller (only 2 wires showing below it) for the fluid level sensor going into a wire tray. I figured out how to dis-connect the ABS connector. I ohmed the broken wire to the Fluid level connector and it is the number 2 (power) wire. 2 questions: 1 does that power wire go up that bundle coming out of the wire tray at the top of the picture (i may have to jumper it there)? 2. what power is on the number 2 wire ( may have to jumper it to a source)?
Hey , the black and the blue wire we need to know about and these coming from the brake fluid sensor ?
Ok let see what I come up with
I will let you know
Chad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the number 2 wire is broke,,, from the connector diagram you sent me (http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jhook1398/59a69d33-4dc9-44d6-a3bc-d0b67bde27cb_imagesWLinks+BRAKE+FLUID+FREESTYLE.gif) above pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is power and pin 3 is signal. What is the power on pin 2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pin 1 does go to ground, I just checked that.

I found it :)

I will be sending you the diagram in a few , the pin# ***** should have 5 VOLT reference from computer ( PCM) ? coming thru the junction box as you can see in diagram

Look at the brake switch pin #2 you have 5 v reference on diagram coming from junction box and I m sure going back to PCMChad ( aka-Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, the last 3 schematics are the same. the wire on the bundle side of power has been chewed off very close to the bundle,,,either i have to open that wire tray or find another place to splice into the power wire. Any diagrams of how the tray is installed or where that wire runs that I could jumper to it?

correct one diagram ,probably system send it 3 times , i only wanted to send once .

you have asked for #2 pin and i answered should be 5 volt reference from pcm , i sent you the diagram showing the sensor and the powers to it as requested

unfortunately i don't have that tray R & R,sorry

Chad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad hello. I opened the upper wire bundle and spliced the correct wires to the fluid sensor connector and still have the fail. I don;t see 5 volts on the center wire. where does that and the number 3 signal wire go, what and where is the connector? i need to ohm between the sensor connector and the other end. is there a fuse for the 5 volts? any other ideas?

the # ***** pin is 5 Volt reference , but the pin #3 is power , you should see voltage and it goes to the fuse box, ( junction (b) the one under the hood and the color wire should be Dark Blue (DB)

If you look at the brake switch the pin# ***** should have power at all times with switch on the pin# ***** comes from pcm (computer) if the computer don t send the5 v reference the switch will no close , so do you have power on #3 with switch on , if you follow it should go back to that fuse box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad, hello. No power on pin 3. As i read the diagram, 0 = normal and 1 = low. Doesn't that mean if i pull the connector from the sensor the fails should go away? As it would be a 0. It remains a fail with the connector disconnected. Not sure i can trace the blue wire to the fuse box. is there a connector with that blue wire where I can check continuity to the sensor connector? What other issues can cause the low fluid level message and constant parking brake light? I checked the front brake pads they are good. Fluid level topped off. No leaks and brakes work great.

Hi how are you

If unplug the switch and you get power bag on the # ***** wire than switch is bad

if unplug an no power still u need to follow back to fuse box and then back to pcm, if the wire is intact that leaves you pcm.

and i know that checking blue wire is easier said then done cause that wires run all over the harness , be easier to swap pcm if you dont want spend time testing all ciruict , if no body messed with wiring harness , most likely is good and pcm is the issue , try unpluging the abs module connector will that give you power back on pin #3

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the ABS connector and no voltage on the 3 wire. Where is the PCM? if PCM messed up wouldn't I have other fails? Are you sure the blue voltage wire goes to the fuse box in the engine area? The Blue wire that came from the sensor runs up the harness and went into the interior. Is there connector under the steering wheel area that has the 2 and 3 wire? Number 1 is ground and that does have connectivity to ground. With out a wiring diagram for that wire it is impossible to determine where it goes.
I understand, might be best to buy a wiring diagram for it,
That is the the only diagrams I have available for it in my system
I m sorry about that ,I don't believe I can help anymore with this issue you are havingI will send this post to customer service and get you a refundThank you and good luck
ChadI will send this list customer service to get you a refundThank you
Chad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,,, thanks for the help,,, might be a little to complicated for a chat discussion. Thanks again. I am going to order the wiring diagram.

yes i agree on this one it is

good luck

Thank you for using just answer

Chad Farhat (akaCustomer

1

ok I m sending it now .

Thanks again