Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I hooked the battery cables up backwards and now I have no

Customer Question
spark. I've replaced the coil...
I hooked the battery cables up backwards and now I have no spark. I've replaced the coil, distributer cap and rotor and the relay or whatever that item is that is mounted near the battery, the starter wouldnt work, I replaced that relay(?) and the starter turns the engine fine but no fire
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: it was in storage for several years and when I took it out it started right up and ran good until it started stalling and sputtering. I replaced the fuel filter under the truck and put in a new battery and since my cables on the truck were both black I hooked them up wrong and now have the issues. It's the second motor with about 20000 miles
\
JA: What is the model of your '18000 Ford?
Customer: f 150
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i hope to yes. like i said i replaced the relay near the battery where a bunch of cables hook in because the starter wouldn't work but does after replacing that whatever it is. put on a new coil, distributer cap and rotor,
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to see if I can help you I need to know the year and engine size in your F 150, post back when you can with complete information and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I responded that my truck is a 1990 with a 302 and have not heard anything since. I'm being charged however, how does that work? I bet I can diagnose the problem there.

Any money you have paid remains in your account until you rate the service. I am not paid anything with out a rating. Can you check and see if you are getting key on power at the ignition coil with the key and and while crank and let me know and we can work from there?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician