Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a '14 Ford Fusion with a Hood Ajar warning that comes

Customer Question
Hello, I have a '14...
Hello, I have a '14 Ford Fusion with a Hood Ajar warning that comes on for a second to a minute sometimes, then goes out. I figure this is related to the random panic alarm going off from time to time. I've sprayed the hood latch with WD40 like other have suggested to no avail. would like to just unplug the horn. Any suggestions?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Is your battery fully charged?
Customer: Fuses are fine. Battery seems good and the terminals are clean. Checked the ground and it's also fine.
JA: What year is your Fusion?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, not much yet. I'm an OTR truck driver who is gone all week and my car is parked in a residential area. Not sure if its going off at night there or not. But it did twice here last night. Where should I start?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Everything else on the car works great. This only started a month ago. I do live in VT where they salt the roads during winter, but see no corrosion.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 1 year ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. If you either cut the wires off and connect them to each other it will bypass the switch. Is that what youre wanting to know?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you talking about the hood relay switch on the hood latch mechanism.

Yes. The hood ajar switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No don't need a call. Bypassing the switch will be easy.
Thank you

No problem. Please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello again, last weekend I did not have the time to bypass the relay. I did yesterday after I noticed driving home on Friday that every time I hit a hard bump in the road, the Hood Ajar light would come on. So I bypassed the relay on Sat and it worked fine the rest of the day. But tonight at 7:30, the alarm went off again, and when I stuck the key in the ignition the Hood Ajar light came on and then went off again. The relay is not the problem and was not solved by bypassing it. Any other ideas?

What relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The relay or switch in the hood latching mechanism. I pulled the plug off the latch which had two wires going to it. I got in the car and turned on the ignition and it said Hood Ajar. I then took a wire of the same guage and connect theses two wires together, leaving the wire off the switch. Go back in the car and turned on the ignition, all clear. Drove it for about 40 minutes, all good. All Sat night, no alarm. All day Sunday, quiet. Sunday night at 7:30, alarm sounds. I go out and turn it off. Turn on car and the Hood Ajar warning is back on dash. Moved car around to the back of my building and the Hood Ajar warning comes on and goes back off 6 times in less then 2 minutes. Set alarm and went upstairs, alarm sounds again. So have been leaving the car unlocked.

OK and if you jumper the wires together again does it go back off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took the jumper wire off and yes, it showed Hood Ajar with the hood open. This time instead of just running a wire from female hole to hole in the plug that came off the switch on the hood latch, I went to the wires below the plug, cut, stripped, and tied them directly together. And the Hood Ajar light went out with the hood open. But it still flashes Hood Ajar from time to time and the alarm will sound with nothing happening to or around the car. I now don't believe it has anything to do with the hood switch. It's orininating from somewhere else in the system or wiring.

Theres only one moving part in the system. Modules can sometimes have a intermittent failure like this but wiring wont and you have already remove the one moving part of the system so its obviously a bad module.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But could a short in the wiring cause it to also trigger a Hood Ajar event when the hood is closed.
I have been everywhere on line. This is a systemic issue dating back at least a decade. And I can not find one case, in message boards or anywhere where someone says, " the problem is this". WD-40 does not fix it. Removing the electrical connect to the relay on the hood latch does not fix it. So with the exception of bypassing the horn and just letting it trigger when it wants, what is the fix? There are too many people out there with this problem. Dealers are putting in new hood latches, taking people's car for the day and finding nothing, yet the problem continues. I bought the car in Nov, worked perfectly until April. Where I live and where I work, I can not afford to have this alarm going off when it wants. So, what do I try next?

You then wait till its acting up and you ground the jood ajar circuit directly at the BCM. If that stops it then your wiring is bad. If it doesnt then your BCM is bad.

Ive never heard of a dealer who doesnt have a tech capable of doing that.

I am attaching a location view and pinout on the connector. Its under the left side of the dash on the BCM.

Its the bottom connector.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you.

Sorry here are the attachments. I forgot to attach them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a OTR truck driver. I leave on Monday mornings, and do not get back until Friday night or Saturday morning. I will try your suggestion on Saturday and let you know how it goes. I do not mind paying for your advice, I just need to apply it first to see if it works. Or are you still available after I pay?

The question will remain open for follow ups indefinitely at no extra charge even after you rate my service. I will be around all weekend if you need anything further. Thanks

If youre willing and able to do the things I request of you we will definitely get you resolution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I got back late yesterday and started driving home which is an hour and a half commute. The first 20 minutes of driving, the was nothing. then I went through the town of Montpelier, VT and got the warning off and out a couple of dozen times in a 2 mile period. Then after the town, nothing the rest of the way home. I locked it last night, and it has not sounded since. I read something online about resetting the BCM by disconnecting the battery, putting the Neg (-) and Pos (+) ends of the cables together for 5 minutes to drain the system. Re-hooking the cables. Turning on the key without turning on the car for a minute. The person did not have a Hook Ajar message, but some other issues the he said was resolved by doing this. Is this a good idea? I ask because until the alarm sounds, I don't have much else to check.

It could work of its a software glitch in the BCM. You STILL wont know till it does it again if its fixed or not.

Nothing you can do will give you results right away unfortunately. Its not a constant problem we can check. Even if we think we got it fixed it could still pop up again in the future.

If you do the reset be warned that it is possible for your car to "forget" the keys and it will require a trip to the dealer. Its uncommon but it does happen. Just so you know.

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner