Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1999 f-350 4x4. I just got home from an all day drive [350 miles], pulling my camper, with no problems.

Customer Question
When I got to my...
I have a 1999 f-350 4x4. I just got home from an all day drive [350 miles], pulling my camper, with no problems. When I got to my property, I shifted my transfer case into low range to help maneuver trailer into place. The last thing was backing up. When I shifted back to 2 wheel and attempted to move forward, the truck wouldn't move. Rev on engine and it would try to engage. Shifted 4x4 shifter several times and every time with a little different symptom.
JA: OK. I'm trying to find the right Ford Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What is the model of your '99 Ford?
Customer: 99 F-350 v-10 Lariat 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Please read my first post
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

So as of right now 2wd, 4high, 4low none will allow reverse or drive to work and in park it will roll?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Park works, reverse would work and does for the most part. As I said earlier, It seemed like when I would change transfer case shifter it would change symptoms. The 4x4 light stays on now.

So in drive it just revs up, but will not move?

Are you bale to shift to 4 low and if you can does drive then work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
although if you rev it, it will move. I can shift to low and it does the same thing. The fluid looks fine and full and there is no abnormal noise.

Thanks, ***** ***** and park work and drive tries to move, this means its not your transfer case to blame. There is nothing in it that can change the results compared to drive and reverse. Sometimes when a transmission has a wear and slipping issue in low range it can then move due to the lower gear ratio. Your descriptions all lead to a trans overhaul being needed.

Please make sure to select a rating from the top of your screen prior to logging off so the post does not time out.

Thanks Moose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So I had it pulled and the mechanic rebuilt it. He said he really couldn't see anything wrong. Went ahead and rebuilt it. It was fine for about a week. This is why I'm here talking to you. No one I spoke to prior to rebuild ever heard of the symptoms and they all suggested rebuild. So I guess it can't be fixed or no one has an answer?

Since it worked fine for a week that means he did repair something in the transmission that was needed but he must of repaired the result not the cause. So the same failure has happened again. Another overhaul will be needed. They just need to do more diag to find all the potential causes prior to going in so they can closely monitor those things once inside.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you have no idea? What it is either?

I would need more information if you would like me to pick a part I feel like is to blame. So far this is all I know:

• Shifted 4x4 shifter several times and every time with a little different symptom. I would need to know the symptoms?
  • When I shifted back to 2 wheel and attempted to move forward, the truck wouldn't move.
  • He said he really couldn't see anything wrong. Went ahead and rebuilt it. It was fine for about a week.

I will need to know the line pressure results in each gear and if there are codes stored. I can provide all the possible causes for no drive engagement if that would help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My son says, now there's no reverse. Forward works fine. All changeable parts are new. 4x4 light will not go out.

Here are all the symptoms from Ford for no reverse operation.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/no%20reverse.pdf

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's evident that you have never heard or seen this problem. As I stated at the beginning, transmission didn't have this problem or any other until I shifted into low range and went back to high. Even after having the transmission rebuilt it went a week and is doing the same thing, with all new parts. The transmission guy is willing to redo it but has never had the problem and no one he knows has either. That's why I'm here paying for answers. I know a lot of people in the business and none of them have heard of it. Unless you can then it's of no use. I can't rate you at this point with a good rating, as much as I would love to give 5 star.

Since I am a Ford dealer trans tech, I have seen just about every possible failure there is. Sorry you were not pleased with my help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, it looks like the problem was the transfer case plug after all. This was the second rebuild from two different transmission shops in 30k miles or 4500.00 dollars. I couldn't tell you how many people I have spoken to, trying to find the answer. I knew, with the fact that it started after shifting from low range back to high, that it had to be something simple. But no one had the answer. So now, if anyone should ask, you know more than you did.

Sounds like someone has messed with your trucks wiring. 2wd, 4high, 4low will not effect the transmissions ability to engage D and R.

Glad you got it resolved

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to be sure, the truck had 35k miles on it when I bought it and it was mostly serviced at Ford. The first time this happened was at 220k miles. Same thing, just got to Georgia pulling a 15k pound 5th wheel, not a single problem. As I pulled in to my drive I stopped and shifted in to low range to get up drive and back camper into it's resting place, shifted back into high and truck would not move. 4x4 light would not go out. Was told by everyone it needed rebuilding. It was a lot cheaper coming here than the two rebuilds, to, in the end find it to be a plug.

Glad you got it resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what now? Do I still pay with no answer from you?

You already paid for help. Calling or emailing the website for refund is the only way to get your money back.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician