Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Loose speedometer when it warms up - seems to work ok when

Customer Question
first start out - could...
loose speedometer when it warms up - seems to work ok when first start out - could it be a sensor of some sort?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes to all questions -- the odometer also stops at the same time
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1996 Ford explorer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hoping to fix myself - have not tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not really - rest of the explorer in good shape
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, just the speedometer drops to zero? Does the check engine light come on when this happens? Does the odometer still work? Something else is also not working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Odometer does not work nor the trip mileage--check engine light is on -

Ok it is most likely an issue with the vehicle speed sensor. There is a speed sensor on the extension housing of the transmission. A diagnostic check for cdoes should be done first with a scan tool. Most auto parts stores run codes for free. If this model doesnt have the speed sensor on the tailshaft of the transmission it will be in the rear differential on top of the center of the axle. Common to see this type of sensor fail. Easy to replace. A two pin electrical connector and one bolt holds it in place. Replace and recheck speedometer operation

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you - will give it a try

Very good, if you need more help let me know. if i was helpful, please leave a positive rating

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Hello, do you need more help? The question is listed as open until it is rated

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans