Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

No crank, no start, shiftier indicator does not move. if you

Customer Question

No crank, no start, shiftier indicator does not move. if you close starter relay transmission does not shoft
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery and starter are good. can stat car by closing starter relay
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: make contact through relay car will start, but transmission will not shift, also indicator does not move
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: do you have any ideas on this
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: i think this is all you should know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model as well as engine size in this vehicle here so we can continue from there?

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2013 ford focus 2.0
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does the shift indicator flash at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOI
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,I just wanted to make sure as there was a bulletin on a no start with the shift indicator flashing.

From what you have described here this sounds like an internal electrical fault with the transmission range sensor itself.This is a common sensor to fail and causes all of the issues you have described here.This sensor is located on top of the transmission near the shifter cable as shown below.The cost can run around $200 in some cases to have replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0o75hbhn7f1mfx/ra-06-14.gif?dl=0

Being a 2013 model you might contact a dealer to see if there is any warranty on your model still and if this is under warranty to have this switch tested and replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT WILL START IF U MANUALY ENGAGE THE STARTER RELAY. SCANNER WILLNOT COMUNICATE WITH TRANS. TRANS. STAYS NEUTRAL NO MATTER WHERE SHIFTER IS.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you are unable to communicate with the transmission control module check and make sure all fuses are good first.If all fuses are good this can be an issue with the transmission control module itself at fault.I have seen the control module fail in the past before needing replaced.It will cause the shift indicator issue as well as prevent the starter signal from occuring like this here.

You will need to have this tested further to be sure this is the cause here and then from there replaced as needed to correct this issue.This may require a higher end scan tool to read data signals as well as help test to make sure this is the module at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WOULD U SEND ME COMPONENT LOCATOR AND WIRING DIAGRAM WITH GROUND LOCATIONS? FAX(###) ###-####THANKS. PS AND SEND ANYTHING ELSE THAT MIGHT BE OF HELP.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not have this info to send myself.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PLEASE REFUND MY MONEY. I'm done.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I will send this to customer service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.