James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2004 F350 6L, it quit running, no fuel, replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F350 6L, it quit running, no fuel, replaced pump, and still won't run, checked power to fuel pump and there is none. replaced PCM and still no power to pump, fuses are new. can't find and shorts or loose connections
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 168000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced fuel pump, filters and PCM
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What wire are you checking for power and are you doing it while cycling the key on and off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unhooked the power wire at the frame rail fuel pump, yes while cycling the key

What color was the wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know the color, I replaced the pump so I know they're the right wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is power at the water sensor

Im gonna opt out here. I thought you had the vehicle available for testing. I dont think I can help if you cant physically access the vehicle and check things. Someone else should be along shortly to try to help. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm actually headed to the parks store to get fuel pump relays,
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, after you replaced the PCM did you have it programmed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was vin specific, came programmed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the relay is bad
Foab-14b192-aa
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

did you test the fuel pump cutoff switch? It isn't possible to relay is bad. If you have a multi meter I can help you test the vehicle? You can also swap the relay with a similar looking relay to see if it makes a difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Headed home now, purchased new relay, will contact in 15 min, I pulled the plastic off passenger floor board and check the cut off. It's good
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the test for the cut off switch? The red plunger is down, is there power there when the
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key is on
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key on you need to have 12v on both sides. If you are only getting power on one side the switch is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12v both sides of cut off switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no power to fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you have power to the inertia switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I figured it out, there are 3 plugs at the fuel pump, two go to the water sensor, 1 to power the pump. The water sensor should have I plug that has 12v and 1 that doesn't. I got the plug mixed up and had two plugs at the water sensor that were 12v and the power plug to the pump was 0v, the 0v plug should go on the opposite side of the water sensor ?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The original fuel pimps had 3 plugs. Fuel power, WIF, fuel heater. The backside of the pump which is either brown or black is the actual fuel pump itself. The one going in the side is the water in fuel sensor. If you did mix then up you won't have the fuel pump turning on you are correct.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, were you able to correct your concern?