Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Replace my fuel pump and cranks won't start 1998 expedition

Customer Question
JA: Does the engine turn...
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: New battery
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Motor turns but won't stay on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No i need help
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/13/2016
Ford Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there.

In reading your original post, I see that you stated you won't fix this yourself but need help. What kind of help can I offer you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to fix it my self
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why it would stay on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need help can you help me with my problem

I'm sorry. This is not like a regular chat. It takes time for me to get your reply and then compose and send mine.

Yes, I can provide you with all the technical guidance you'll need. However, to follow my instructions, you will need to use tools such as scanner, Noid light, ignition tester and fuel pressure tester. Do you have access to those tools and are comfortable using them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't have does tools

In that case, I’m sorry, but I don’t have any other information that could help you at this time. I’ll opt out so others may try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.

Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello, new expert here.

What led you to replace the fuel pump?
Do you have a test light or digital multi meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car was sitting for 3 year and gas eat the pump

Thank you. Did you drain the fuel system and change or clean the spark plugs and clean the fuel injectors?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No but this is my second fuel pump the first it turn on for 3 days then it went out so I got the new one now it doesn't want to start

So you still have the 3 year old gas in the fuel tank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No clean the tank put new gas i put about 8 gallons

Ok. Toy will need to replaced the spark plugs. When the spark plugs are removed, put about 3 cap full of oil into each cylinder and let it sit for about 4 hours. then crank the engine over with the spark plugs out and then install the new spark plugs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

Please keep me informed if you need any more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all let you know

Ok.

A. Penland
A. Penland