A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2003 ford taurus SES 3.0 DOHC. I have a error code

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford taurus SES 3.0 DOHC. I have a error code P1633 and I am getting a lot of noise from my ac compressor
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 227,500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix it myself. The first quote got wasfor over 1800 dollars
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No I need help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The AC compressor clutch is the problem. The outer disc on the compressor clutch pulley is breaking apart and the field coil is shorting out causing fuse #22 in the engine bay fuse box to blow and cause the noise from the compressor and the code P1633. You can unplug the field coil for the compressor and replace the fuse if you cannot afford to repair the AC compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I unplug the field coil for the compressor and will it be safe to drive after doing that task
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

On the front of the compressor just behind the pulley for the belt is a wire connector with 2 wires in it. Use a small flat blade screw driver to carefully release the connector and then replace the fuse #22. It will be same to drive, you just will not have AC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have to take off the shroud below the compressor to get to these connections or can you do that from topof the engine near the refill tank
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

It should be easier to get it from underneath. The AC compressor is a little tight on the DOHC engine.