Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

I have a 1997 2.3 Ranger. Timing Belt has broken. Easy tear

Customer Question

I have a 1997 2.3 Ranger. Timing Belt has broken. Easy tear down and no a/c. Installed the new belt and tensioner. Aligned the star pointers and crankshaft (key way straight up) Spins and no start. But if you align with the notches on the back of the pulleys it will run? I know the star pointers are the ones you use.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can anyone give me an expected wait time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40 minutes and waiting
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question and sorry for the delay,

Take a look at the Ford factory steps enclosed in the link below and see if this is how your timing yours.

Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Timing%20Mark%20Jun%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we talk on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Funny I have friend named Moose too
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** is another guy. Im not sure if your timing this right why it will not fire, this is not an interference engine and its likely you said , very straight up to time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Credit card confirmed, Retry please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they just sent me a text thinking is was a fraud thing
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to talk on the phone at the moment , I can open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else can do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would be nice to get help asap so that is ok as long as you are ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
need to get this to run
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im okay, would you like me to open it back up for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will there be along wait time again?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That depends on if someone feels like they can help you. Before I go, if you line everything back up using the factory steps and then pull the #1 spark plug out are you finding the piston at TDC? Something you should check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before you go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I aligned up the notches in the tin plates behind the gears and this thing runs. But with like a gas pinging noise and lack of power. I don't know why it would do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put it where it's supposed to be and it spins like no belt is on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Baffled?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Sound like it out of time for sure. With the marks lined up and the #1 piston at TDC it should run just fine Something is not right here and Im not sure what. Ill open it up for you. Perhaps someone has ran into this before. I have not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** wait on someone to call. Do I need to sit here and watch the PC? Or can I go out and try to work on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will someone respond here or call?
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, have you removed the pulleys and checked that the keys and keyways are in good condition?

It sounds like one of the pulleys may of damaged it's key during the process and therefore not be in the correct relation to the crankshaft.

I'm guessing that was the answer as you've not got back to me, please rate if I have helped.