Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 1995 ford bronco. 302, 5.0, e40d trans. It starts

Customer Question

I have a 1995 ford bronco. 302, 5.0, e40d trans. It starts real easy and idles perfect. I put it in any gear and iy stalls out every time. it started doing this when i was at a stop light and when it turned green, i gave the gas pretty hard. I heard like a air bubble lose its air. It was medium sound. I then slowed down and the truck wanted to stall but i gave it gas and kept going. I then had to stop at a stop sign and it stalled out. It started right up but when i put it in gear, it stalled out. Its been doing that everytime since. Iv replaced a few sensors like, egr valve, iac, checked the vacuum lines, cleaned the mass air flow, and i put a new torque converter. No codes on the dtc. Its driving me nuts trying to get it running again. What do you guys think it is?
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

when you put into gear,does it jump into gear really hard?

does it kinda feel like a manual transmission with the clutch let out when you put into gear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels like normal when put into gear. It just jerks the whole truck and it stalls out.

ok..

but it idles and seems to run well?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

does the brakes feel right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It idles really good. No engine light on and no codes are displayed on code reader. The brakes feel fine.

ok.

i would think that sense you did hear a hissing noise,,you first need to check all vacuum hoses/lines..but.

from the way you explain,the problem may be the torqe converter ,,it may be staying locked up.this is why it dies when you put it into gear,,the converter may have no slippage

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked vacuum lines about 3 or 4 times. Replaced a few because very brittle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a brand new torque converter. What do i do to get the converter working since thats what you think it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You asked me questions that i had already commented on in my 1st question and details to you. What advice or answers did you give me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You still havent gave a answer. Where did you go

sorry,i was off line

there isnt anything you can do with the converter to un lock it,,you will just need to replace it

the converter isnt likely to be new,it is likely to be rebuilt

did you replace that converter trying to fix this problem to begin with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The converter works because it was tested at ford shop.

ok..

stand by,i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here

thanks

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Overfill the transmission by 2 quarts, start it and see if it still stalls in gear. If it does not then pull the pan and check the filter. It probably has fallen out of the pump or has a large crack in it.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Did you get a chance to try out my recommendation?

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Is there a reason you keep viewing my posts without replying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did put more transmission fluid. It was still stalling out. Tomorrow i will drain it out and i will check the filter. Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good. You have to put a full 2 quarts to get it above the pump inlet, assuming it is full.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Find anything out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok kenny, the transmission fluid we over filled didn't do anything different. We then drained it and took a look at the filter. It was fine and in place. We put it back together and filled it with transmission fluid. The bronco started fine like usual and we let it idle for a few minutes. It sounded good. I put it into reverse and it almost stayed on but it stalled out. I started it up again and put it into drive. It stalled out right away. Tried it again in drive and it sputtered and i gave it gas and it took off. I went around the block a few times but i couldnt stop because it felt like it would stall out. When i got to my house, i stopped and it stalled out. I tried again but it stalled in gear. I put it in neutral with it on and got some momentum going foward and then put it in gear and it took off again. It changed gears like normal but came to a stop it stalled out. Anything you can say what the problem is?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Its going to be a stuck valve in the front pump, either a converter regulator valve or converter clutch control valve.

It could be the converter itself but that is very rare.

Was hoping you would get lucky and find the filter cracked or fallen out or somebody changed the filter and did not get the original filter o-ring out of the pump resulting in double o-ring in the pump. Seen that several times also. Usually overfilling by 2 quarts rules all those possibilities out because the high fluid level covers up the leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is either of those valves complicated to replace? And do i replace both or start with one and then check it to see if it works?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes they are both difficult, the trans has to be removed, the front pump removed and disassembled. Should be performed by an experienced transmission technician. Once apart it should be no problem seeing which one is sticking. Not sure if parts available still for this trans. Click link below for an exploded view of the pump assembly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9smttykjme5u9p6/pump.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Thanks,

Kenny Z