Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 ford ranger 4 cyl. Won't start. Nothing happens when I…

Customer Question
1998 ford ranger 4 cyl...
1998 ford ranger 4 cyl. Won't start. Nothing happens when I turn the key. Good battery. New ignition cyl. new ignition switch. Still.nothing. happened after i parked it at work, 5 min later nothing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Is your ranger automatic or manual transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Automatic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other electric items work ie. Lights radio. Putting the shift lever into park and taking key out of ignition does not shut power down on stuff.

If you try to put the transmission in neutral will it crank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

I'm sorry. I got pulled away here at the shop. Do you have a multi-meter to test for voltage at the starter?

Here is the step by step for testing the starter:

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks When i get some i will test starter and so on. If that tests good? What then?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It may take me a day or 2 to get to starter.

That test runs down how to test the entire starting system. Something in this system will test bad. There is nothing else left to keep it from cranking.

Please don't forget to rate.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jared. I haven't started testing the start system yet. Will do tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Sounds good.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician