Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I am programming a 2010 ford F350 with a 5.4l automatic,

Customer Question

I am programming a 2010 ford F350 with a 5.4l automatic, 2wd. I am trying to program the pats keys to the vehicle. I have 4 of them and. I am using the Factory IDS with a J2534 programmer. my question is, is it normal for the Instrument cluster to basically shut off (no lights no gauges, its as if the ignition is just shut off) while the 10min security access is happening? The end result is the keys do not program and the truck will not start. I have programmed these systems multiple times with great success, i just cant remember if the cluster "shut down" on me.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: the engine does not turn over as the pats system is still active. the battery is good, I am also using a flash programming battery charger from snap on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: um yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new ECM, new GEM module, (GEM due to corrosion)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: i dont think so. Im basically just inquireing if the instrument cluster should "shut off" during 10 min security access.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Please give me a few minutes to type a response. I'm a slow typer.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! No, the cluster should not shut off. It should be on the whole time security process is going on. It will stay on when the key is on. It should only go off when the key is turned off. IF yi is turning off in that 10 minute security window, there is another fault going on. What I do is I put the connector through the window and close the door and turn the radio on. This way it keeps the vehicle from going into any sleep modes. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy