HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

WE HAVE A 2007 FORD F150 WE DROVE TO THE STORE TURNED IT OFF

Customer Question

WE HAVE A 2007 FORD F150 WE DROVE TO THE STORE TURNED IT OFF AND WHEN WE CAME OUT IT WOULD NOT TURN OVER. HAS FULL BATTERY CHARGE ALL BELLS WORKS RADIO WORKS BUT WHEN WE TURN KEY ON NOTHING
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: WHEN WE TURN KEY ON THE ANTI THEFT LIGHT FLASHES FOR 3 SECS AND THEN GOES OFF
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: WE TRIED IT BOTH IN PARK AND IN NEUTRAL AND YES WE WILL FIX OURSELVES DO NOT KNOW IF IT HAS A WHEEL LOCK FEATURE IT WAS RUNNING JUST FINE NO ISSUES
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Helloo the red theft lamp flashes when you turn the key to on or it comes on steady a few seconds and then turns off? Do you have another ignition key for the vehicle to try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT COMES ON STEADY FOR 3 SECS AND THEN TURNS OFF YES WE TRIED ANOTHER KEY
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

OK so the theft system is working properly, dash lights up normally but wont crank. When you turn the key to crank does the lighting on the radio dim out when trying to crank the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO IT DOES NOT DIM AT ALL
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

OK will it try to crank if you put the shifter in neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO IT DOES NOT
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok its possibly a failed starter. You would need to get under the truck on the passenger side and see if you are getting power to the starter solenoid on the starter. The large cable will have battery power all the time, the smaller wire will only have power in the crank position. If you leave the key in the on position and jump across the two terminals the starter should crank. If it is an issue with an aftermarket alarm system you may have installed with a starter interrupt circuit, then you may have an issue with the alarm brain(aftermarket if equipped)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TRIED THAT AND NOTHING
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Do you have powe at the battery cable at the starter? It wont crank if you jump to the smaller starter wire? If it wont crank when jumped id suspect a bad starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TRIED ALL THAT ALSO AND NOTHING THINK IT NEEDSA A NEW STARTER?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If it has power on the battery cable at all times and power at the smaller starter solenoid wire when holding the key in the crank position then yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANK YOU
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, if you need more help let me know, If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WELL WE TOOK STATER INT O BE TESTED AND IT TESTS AS GOOD--THEY THOUGHT IT COULD BE THE IGNITION--ANY IDEAS?/ COULD THE STARTE HAVE A DEAD SPOT AND STILL TEST AS GOOD??
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

I thought you said the starter wouldnt engage if you jumped across the two terminals at the starter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he tried jumping it across the 2 terminals and nothing but the little wire that hooks on the selonoid on the starter and we then turned key to start position and that wire had 12 volts but when put back to the run position no volts.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok the starter passed a bench test. You have battery voltage on the battery supply cable at all times? You have battery voltage on the ignition switch feed wire but none when it is hooked up. The starter would not crank over when you jumped it in the vehicle, if this is the case it sounds like a voltage drop in the circuit. Need to load test both the battery supply cable with a bulb and the ignition smaller wire. It should light a bulb bright if put in series with the power wire and ground