Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2007 expedition wont start but starter stays engaged until I

Customer Question
turn key off...what could it...
2007 expedition wont start but starter stays engaged until I turn key off...what could it be
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
6/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic

Sounds like the starter relay but i want to start by having you disconnect both of the battery cables for 5 minutes and reconnect them. Let me know what it does.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok give me a sec

No problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I disc them waiting 5 min

Perfect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
same

So it just keeps turning over wont start and will not stop turning the engine over until you have the key off correct?

Is your vehicle equipped with automatic start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my wife pulled into garage as always and it did this today

Do you have any lights on the dash blinking or on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nope

I was suspecting a possible issue with the security system here but with no lights coming on It sounds to me like the ignition switch is the problem here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is that common with 118k?

They do go out and sometimes sooner than later depending on the weather and use. I have seen farm vehicles go threw switches all the time because of dust dirt but on normal vehicles it is not as common but we do see them in the shop consistently. You will remove the cover on the steering column and follow the steps I have loaded below.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok im confused ...I pulled it out and still same thing

You have to replace the ignition switch and this should correct the issue. It is acting as if you do not have one connected.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but would it not kill the starter?

It should but if you remove it this will completely bypass the ignition switch. That appears to be what the system is doing. So this verifies the ignition switch is shorted out completely.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have removed it and still engages starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is the actuator that you gave me info on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the actuator does not work when plugged in can you send me info on the switch?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
igot it can you sendme info on disaseble

The steps I sent are the only ones I have available for the ignition switch. The only other ones available are for the ignition cylinder but I have loaded them as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
broke th tilt lever...ugh any info on that

You have to release the tabs and it slides out. Did it not slide out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its a screw on ign switch I pulled it but tilt lever in way and itbroke when I pulled it

Yeah the tilt lever has release tabs on it. You press the release tabs and pull out the lever. You will have to get another lever and push the release tabs and fish out the rest of the lever still in the slot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok where are the release tabs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see springs ...no tabs though

I am having a hard time getting good photos to show you what i am talking about. But here is a good one

If you have the manual rod I believe that just sits on there with a little c clip

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its a plastic lever that goes into rear of column...not an old school steel rod

Okay they just clip right over a metal tab and it is common for them to fall out. You can simply put it back on and hold it tight with some silicone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its sping loaded it does not come right out

I think we are talking about different things here. the plastic clip fits over a metal tab. Can you send a photo please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is the tilt wheel lever that is on the left side of st wheel its plastic and it goes into the back of steering column

I have never replaced one of those on this vehicle. Let me open this question up to the rest of the experts and one should be able to assist that has experienced this before.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As long as I don't get charged anymore
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, do you need help with the starting issue or replacing a broken tilt steering lever?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it broke in the column

Ok removal and replacement of the tilt lever requires removal of the column and partial disassembly to replace it. Its a pretty involved job including removal of the airbag. Not something I would recommend you doing yourself unless you are comfortable doing this type of repair. You still need to figure out the cranking all the time issue? Have you checked the starter relay in the passenger side fuse panel for being melted??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only seen 2 relays 1 plastic in the mid of fuses and a rectangle metal just off the side neither are melted
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you don't think ignition switch??

I havent seen an ignition switch fail, its possible, the ignition switch sends current to the starter relay through the park neutral switch when cranking, you would have to pull the relay and see if the relay is getting power when cranking only or all the time.One lead will be hot all the time, other will be hot only in the crank position. If 2 of the leads are hot all the time, then it would be an ignition switch possibility.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just switched out the relay and it was the same thing

Does it stop cranking with it removed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it won't crank removed

Ok. you said you swapped the starter relay with another so its doing the same thing. So it shouldnt be a rleay issue long as the fuse block didnt look melted or overheated where the relay sits. There is an early and late production starter circuit.The later model uses a starter diode in the fuse panel which if equipped would be next to the fuel pump and ac clutch diode in the underhood fuse box, does it have a third diode next to the other two or is this spot blank? If it has a starter diode try swapping it out with one of the others and check for the starter staying engaged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has a 3rd ..swapped it and same thing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Without that diode in place it does not even crank

Ok, here is a copy of the schematic for the late build with the diode for the starter circuit. With the starter relay removed, see if you are getting power on pin 85 for the starter relay which you most likely are. This wire runs through the starter diode and is fed by the ignition switch which is a blue/white wire on the switch. Long as the ignition tumbler springs back after turning the key to crank, the switch should not have power.If it does have power all the time, disconnect the electrical connector at the ignition switch and inspect for signs of being overheated or melted. Unbolt the ignition switch and see if it moves freely.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It springs back fine ...no evidence of melting on the ig. Switch

See, if the switch is still sending power on the blue white wire. If it is then the switch is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Negative sir test light goals out as soon as I let key go but starter stays engaged

Ok so the switch is doing what it is supposed to. Then its a possibility that the starter motor itself is shorted at the solenoid. You will have to get under the vehicle on the passenger side to get to the starter and disconnect the small starter wire at the solenoid on the starter, Test and see if this wire has power when the key is off, it should only be hot during the crank position. Need to be careful the larger wire at the starter is hot all the time so you dont want to short a tool against it or disconnect the battery before removing the wire. Also inspect the wiring at the starter for any damage

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok wire has power in the non cranking position
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
released position
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
blue/white wire at ig switch is shutting off in starter release mode but still have power t starter in release mode

Then you are sure you are pulling the right relay?it would have to have a short at the relay or in the fuse panel for it to feed that circuit if not getting power from the switch to the relay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep 2nd one in from left on bottom
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is really really weird

test for power a the relay, have to take apart the fuse panel check for a shorted wire or run a new wire from the relay to the starter, bypass shorted circuit

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok but why wouldn't it start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
relay has power at left leg ...and when I turn the key it has power at the top leg ...right leg is ground? what is bottom leg starter wire?

Its listed in the schematic, the relay has numbers on it to identify the circuit it runs as shown in the schematic. You said the starter is engaged all the time, I dont recall you saying anything about it wont run

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't start either that is what I told the other guy...it was fine last night

So you turn the key to on and it cranks all the time and wont stop cranking? It cranks and it wont run? Does the THEFT lamp flash when you turn the key to on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no theft light

Communication to the PCM with a scan tool? Check engine light comes on when the key is turned to on? The THEFT lam comes on solid and then goes out when the key is turned to on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CEL ...BATT DEAD NOW ...gonna get a charger in the morn...

Ok, need to verify fuel pressure to engine, see if it will start with some carb clean sprayed into intake. If it runs it should stop cranking over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just an FYI it was the fuel pump

Ok good, seemed like if it would crank and not start that was the direction to go to.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans