Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Im having the exact same issue with my 2003 Excursion 6.0. I

Customer Question
pulled the turbo and cleaned...
Im having the exact same issue with my 2003 Excursion 6.0. I pulled the turbo and cleaned. Replaced bps and cleaned bps tube. Still having the same issue. Where should i go next?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry... i thought my question would link up with the previous question.Lack of power
Turbo farts out of intake
Shifting is off... high rpm and a jerk
Blows lots of black smoke when i floor it. Rpms shoot up but no power
6/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, what code(s) are being stored? Is this all stock or egr delete, programmer etc? How many miles are on the engine? Is the egr port clear if yu run the engine with the egr removed? Intake clean?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Code p1000
Code p132b
Egr delete (plugged)
Filter is some what dirty. Pulled the filter and drove with out it. No change
115,xxx miles
Diablo sport set to economy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also showing code p603Sorry i missed that

Ok 603 code is from your programmer, thats the keep alive memory being altered by the tuner. The P132B is for the turbo performance. Can you runa Key On Engine Running Test? How much boost are you producing? You have the turbo reassembled properly and clean? Original turbo?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The turbo was cleaned and assembled correctly.As for the boost... at idle or driving or punching it... i guess im not sure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As far as i know its the original turbo... had the truck since 82k miles

Ok either the vct solenoid is having issues or the turbo is just worn depending on the shape of the impeller blades. Cleaning doesnt always work, if you do a lot of them there are a lot of tricks to keep them going, but being part of the 1st model year it came out, it could be a combination of both a worn turbo and vct operation. Need to verify how much boost you are producing first. If it is low and the vct is working as it should, id look at replacing the turbocharger and updating the pedestal if it is the original one

It doesnt look bad, but it doesnt look great either, I see one of the variable vanes is stuck closed to the other pivots, assuming they moved freely when disassembled.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They all moved freely when i opened the turbo up

Ok check the boost and let me know what you find,along with the ebp readings

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Boost is reading:
10 @ 1500 rpm
18 @ 2000 rpm
25 - 30 @ 3000 rpm and sounds like it has a govenerNot sure what the ebp reading is... I used O'Reilly auto parts scanner the other day to get the codes.

Main thing to do is to make sure the intake is clear,, they manifold is known to plug up with carbon buildup and will cause a lack of turbo performance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are youbtalking about where the back pressuer sensor tube connects to the manifold? If so i ran a pipe cleaner in the hole when i had the tube off for cleaning. Is that good enough?

No, where the egr valve used to go into the intake, that intake manifold itself. The original system would plug up the intake and cause a restirction in flow for the turbo and egr concerns.

Ok the valve looks good, its the passages inside the intake that are in question.

Long as you have a good flow out of the hole for the egr it should be ok, fire it up with the valve off and you should have a strong flow out of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good flow

Ok here is a brief synopsis of why the code stores/is set;

Signal Functions

The variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM uses an inferred exhaust pressure from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor to calculate the exhaust pressure and adjust the VGT solenoid duty cycle. The VGT solenoid receives a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal from the PCM that controls the solenoid on/off time. The VGT solenoid directs oil to a piston within the actuator housing. The direction of oil flow to the piston increases or decreases the exhaust pressure.

Sensor Bias

The VGT solenoid control is based on input sensors. The input sensors are used to calculate engine speed, desired fuel quantity, altitude, and exhaust pressure. The amount of voltage the sensor deviates from a calculated reference value (sensor bias) may cause a commanded versus actual pressure calculation error.

Detection/Management

The PCM closely monitors the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) and MAF sensors for the inferred exhaust back pressure (EP) strategy. A P132B is set when the boost is not within a calibrated limit for a specified VGTDC.

Carry out the Adaptive Turbocharger Learn process after clearing DTC's, if the batteries have been disconnected or after a component replacement with the inferred EP strategy.

The learn process will begin when the following conditions have been met:

• No DTC's for the MAP, MAF, BARO, VGT and EOT sensors are present
  • The engine oil temperature (EOT) is between 50-120°C (120-250°F)
  • The idle speed is between 570-780 RPM
  • The VSS is 3 kPh (2 mph), APP is less than 1.5%
  • The EGR is commanded off (EGRDC = 0%)

The VGTDC will be stepped from 15% to 85% while sampling the MAP when the following conditions are met:

• The learn procedure is complete when VGTVP_LE PID is greater than 5
  • The VGTLRN_OK PID reads YES

The PCM will attempt numerous learn cycles after the VGTLRN_OK PID reads YES.

NOTICE: The PCM harness connectors must be properly seated and the connector latch properly attached to eliminate possible driveability concerns or a no-start condition. Installing PCM connectors on an angle may cause an improper connection, misdiagnosis, and damaged components. Install the connector until the lever pivots and seats itself. Apply light pressure to get the connector into position on the PCM and then fully seat the connector.

Note: After removing the connectors, always check for damaged terminals and pins, connector corrosion and loose fitting terminals.

Note: When the PCM engine harness connector is disconnected, additional DTCs will be set. All DTCs must be cleared before returning the vehicle to service.

DTC Descriptions

• P132B = Turbo/Super Charger Boost Control A Performance
  • P2262 = Turbo/Super Charger Boost Pressure Not Detected
  • P2263 = Turbo/Super Charger Boost System Performance

Here is the pinpoint test for this code to follow down:

KA1 PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS

Note: Diagnose all other DTCs before diagnosing P132B.

Note: For DTC P132B, allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes with engine oil temperature (EOT) greater than 81°C (178°F). Clear the DTCs. Repeat the self-test. If DTC P132B is retrieved again, continue diagnosis of P132B.

• Key off.
  • Perform a visual inspection.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Key on, engine off (KOEO).
  • Retrieve and record any continuous and on-demand DTCs.
  • Clear DTCs.
  • Run the engine until the engine temperature stabilizes.
  • Carry out the KOER self-test.
  • Verify EGR operation.

Are any DTCs present?

YesNo

For DTC P132B, P2262 or P2263, GO to KA2 .

For all other DTCs, REFER to Section 4 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Descriptions.GO to KA2 .

KA2 CHECK THE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP) AND BAROMETRIC PRESSURE (BARO) SIGNAL ACCURACY

Note: Route the pressure gauge hose to the passenger compartment so it is not crimped and does not come in contact with any hot surface.

Note: Diagnose any EOT sensor DTCs before continuing with this step.

• Inspect the MAP sensor hose and manifolds for damage, leaks, restrictions, and correct routing.
  • Disconnect the MAP sensor pressure hose from the sensor.
  • Install the pressure test adapter kit 014-00761 0-30 psi gauge between the MAP sensor and the pressure hose.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the MGP and EOT PIDs.
  • Allow the EOT to reach 70°C (158°F) and road test the vehicle.

Does the MGP PID match the actual gauge pressure?

YesNo

GO to KA3 .GO to Pinpoint Test E .

KA3 CHECK FOR INPUT SENSOR BIAS

Note: Both MAP and BARO sensors should indicate atmospheric pressure at key ON, engine OFF.

• Access the MAF PID
  • Access the BARO and MAP PIDs for comparison. Refer to Section 6 for normal operating values.

Are the BARO and MAP PIDs within specifications and is the MAP and BARO PID values within 10 kPa (1.5 psi) of each other?

YesNo

GO to KA4 .REFER to the appropriate pinpoint test to continue sensor diagnostics.

KA4 CHECK THE TURBOCHARGER OPERATION BOOST

Note: Additional DTCs may set during the use of output control (OSC). Clear all the PCM and transmission control module (TCM) DTCs after the diagnostics are completed. Repeat the self-test to verify all DTCs are cleared.

• Key ON, engine running.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the MGP, EGR DC, RPM and VGTDC PIDs.
  • Access the PCM and control the EGRDC, RPM, and VGTDC PIDs.
  • Increase the commanded engine speed to 1,200 RPM using output state control. The calibration may limit the actual RPM between 1,150 and 1,200 RPM.
  • Decrease the EGR duty cycle (EGR DC) to 0%.
  • Decrease the VGT duty cycle (VGTDC) to 0%.
  • Record the MGP PID value.
  • Increase the VGT duty cycle to 85%.
  • Record the MGP PID value.
  • Decrease the VGT duty cycle to 0%.
  • Record the MGP PID value.

Is the MGP PID below 3 kPa (0.44 psi) at 0% VGT duty cycle and above 6 kPa (.87 psi) at 85% VGT duty cycle?

YesNo

GO to KA5 .GO to KA6 .

KA5 CHECK THE TURBOCHARGER OPERATION BACK PRESSURE

• Key ON, engine running.
  • Using the gauge bar, access the exhaust pressure sensor port.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the, EGR DC, RPM and VGTDC PIDs.
  • Access the PCM and control the EGR DC, RPM, and VGTDC PIDs.
  • Record the exhaust pressure from the gauge bar.
  • Increase the VGT duty cycle to 85%.
  • Decrease the VGT duty cycle to 0%.

Is the exhaust pressure gauge reading below 5 kPa (0.73 psi) at 0% VGT duty cycle and above 50 kPa (7.3 psi) at 85% VGT duty cycle?

YesNo

GO to KA7 .GO to KA6 .

KA6 CHECK THE CHARGE AIR COOLER, AIR INTAKE AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS FOR LEAKS

• Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect the exhaust pressure (EP) sensor from the tube.
  • Connect the Rotunda Smoke Machine, Fuel Evaporative Emission System Tester 218-00001 (522) or equivalent to the EP sensor tube.
  • Fill the exhaust system with smoke until smoke is present at the exhaust pipe.
  • Plug the exhaust pipe.
  • Pressurize the exhaust system with 20 psi regulated air.
  • Disconnect the hose from the MAP sensor.
  • Connect the Rotunda Smoke Machine, Fuel Evaporative Emission System Tester 218-00001 (522) or equivalent to the MAP hose.
  • Fill the air intake system with smoke.
  • Plug the air filter box.
  • Pressurize the air intake system with 20 psi regulated air.
  • Check the air intake and exhaust systems for leaks.

Are any leaks present?

YesNo

REPAIR the leaks.

CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.GO to KA8 .

KA7 CHECK THE VGT ACTUATOR STABILITY

Note: This test may cause a misfire or rough idle condition.

• Apply the parking brake.
  • Place the transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL.
  • Turn the A/C and defroster OFF.
  • Key ON, engine running.
  • Clear the PCM DTCs.
  • Access the PCM and monitor the IPR, MGP, EGR DC and VGTDC PIDs.
  • Access the PCM and control the EGR DC PID.
  • Allow the IPR to stabilize.
  • Slowly press the accelerator pedal and hold for 5 seconds at each of the following RPMs:
    • 1,500 RPM
    • 1,800 RPM
    • 2,000 RPM
    • 2,200 RPM
    • 2,500 RPM
    • 2,800 RPM

Do the VGTDC and MGP PIDs remain steady at all of the RPMs?

YesNo

The turbocharger system is operating correctly.

CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.GO to AK7 .

KA8 CHECK THE OPERATION OF THE VGT ACTUATOR

NOTICE: The VGT actuator valve is sensitive to contamination. All work areas must be clean before starting this procedure. Do not allow contamination to enter the valve ports, cam follower, or turbocharger housing. Handle the VGT actuator by the solenoid body only. Do not attempt to clean or wipe oil off the valve at this time. Do not let the valve come in contact with materials that could contaminate the valve mechanism.

• Key in OFF position.
  • VGT Actuator connector disconnected.
  • Remove the VGT actuator from the turbocharger assembly.
  • VGT Actuator connector connected.
  • Key ON, engine OFF.
  • Access the PCM and control the VGTDC PID.
  • Apply light pressure to the cam follower (tip of the actuator), while commanding the VGT duty cycle and check for the internal valve movement.
  • Increase the VGT duty cycle to greater than 70%.

Is any internal valve cam follower movement present when the VGT duty cycle is increased?

YesNo

GO to KA9 .GO to AK2 .

KA9 CHECK THE VGT VANE OPERATION

• Key in OFF position.
  • Install the VGT actuator in the turbocharger assembly.
  • Remove the pipe plug from the top of the VGT actuator housing, located near the oil supply tube.
  • Apply an index mark on the internal valve cam follower (tip of the actuator).
  • Key ON, engine running.
  • Increase the VGT duty cycle from 20% to 85%.
  • Check the internal valve cam follower for movement at each step while increasing the duty cycle.

Is any internal valve cam follower movement present in each step when the VGT duty cycle is increased?

YesNo

The turbocharger system is operating correctly

CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.CARRY OUT the Turbocharger Reconditioning General Procedure. REFER to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04D Fuel Charging and Controls — Turbocharger.

Hello, do you need more help or information?

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans