Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2012 fusion. i replace both calipers in rear and

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2012...
Hi I have a 2012 fushion. I replaced both calipers in rear and now i have very small amount of fluid coming out of bleeders.
I was told bad master so i replaced. No Change
Then I was told bad ABS Pump / Module so i purchased a used unit same year with 12k on it. Still no pedal.
My friend came over with his BG brake flush machine and we power bleed but still no pedal
Please Advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh and after running 2 qts of brake fluid through BG machine and turned pressure to 20lbs still a small amount of brake fluid comes out of bleeders.
6/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

HI there,

Couple things here.

First, make sure your nipples on the rear brake pads are in the grooves on the caliper piston.

Second, you have to work the parking brake to adjust the rear calipers once they have been screwed back in all the way.

Finally, since the pedal is low, you may be able to determine where the air is by line locking the rear caliper hoses.

HERE is a link to the bleeding procedure that may help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I Have Done exact steps No change
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think maybe your missing the point there is minimal amout of fluid coming from rear bleeders.
The front shoots out a ft when power bleeding

Ok then you need to lock the rear lines going to the calipers and see if the pedal is then firm. If it is, then one of the calipers is causing the problem. If the pedal is firm, then remove the line locks one at a time.

I am not missing the point, but don't expect the caliper to react the same as the front since A the front is closer to the master but also it's a completely different set up then the rear.

You have replaced everything right? With no success, this will help determine why the pedal is low.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok doing lock down now

Ok, let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok blocked off both rear calipers by pinching hoses of and still no pedal even if i pump 20 times

Ok, so, that eliminates the rear being the problem, work to the front calipers and do the same test. If you line lock all 4 and don't have any pedal, then it's going to be air in the master cylinder most likely causing the issue. Not to eliminate the ABS module just yet, but if you have all the calipers locked, then we know its not there. Basically we are piecing this to try and locate the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took hose off at metal line coming from car before caliper hose, had friend push pedal to floor and barely any fluid came out. locking down fronts now.
Also FYI the reason i changed calipers is the right rear was leaking at piston. But before this i had no problems

Ok, appreciate the additional info. I assume the master cylinder was bench bled?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok locked down all 4 hoses pumped pedal and still nothing

Ok

this tells me lets go after the master cylinder to start. If you have help, try this procedure.

Have the helper push down on the pedal, as they do this, you loosen the first line on the master cylinder. Have them hold it, then tighten it back up. Do this like 4-5 times on the rear line. Then repeat the procedure on the front line. Basically you are going to bench bleed the master on the car. After you do this, see if the pedal feels any better. Air is probably why there is low pressure at the rears. Sorry, it's a process....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok doing now

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok did rear line 5 times filled master, then front line 5 times straight fluid no air at all on either lines
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no change still no pedal

Ok,
Also, did you lock all 4 wheels at the same time or just the front 2 and the rear 2?

I see nothing special required to bleed this system, so it seems to indicate you have a bad master even though you have replaced it. If you would like I can open this back up for the other experts, but from here it seems like the master would have to be the issue. You could try bleeding it with the engine running and see if that improves anything.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure Open It Up. Cuz I was pretty sure bleeding the system with a BG power bleeder and using 2 qts of brake fluid stating from right rear wheel would eliminate any air in system.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh sorry yes all 4 wheels were still locked down when bleeding master

Ok, just wanted to be sure. There has to be an issue there. Ok, hopefully this will open up for the other experts now.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician