James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I replaced a gh pressure oil pump yesterday and vehicle

Customer Question

I replaced a high pressure oil pump yesterday and vehicle started and ran perfect for awhile. this morning I cant start it and now the icp pressure is only raising up to 372 psi. I was wondering if there is something else going wrong with the engine
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: it turns over great
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: it had code p2291 yesterday. I tested icp pressure and it was 0 psi. tested for internal oil leak, could not detect leak. so I replaced high pressure oil pump and that took care of the problem. the icp pressure was staying with the desired pressure. my customer picked up vehicle last night and drove it for a while. it started this morning. he went to start it a little while ago and it wouldn't start. so I scanned it and it has codes p2290 and p2291 and preesure is only coming up to 372 psi
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: nothing that I can see
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, is this 7.3 or 6.0L
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6.0
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Is this an early build or later build? Do you have the vehicle back by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the vehicle and the production date is 05/05
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If you replace the HPOP I would suspect the IPR may be causing your concern if you didn't replace it. I would replace the IPR.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced that at the same time because there was a big hole in the screen
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Does it have a ford oil filter and oil cap on it. That can cause low icp. Also is the IPR valve from Ford? If not I would suspect faulty Dorman parts which have a very high failure rate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where the oil was changed at. And I did install a motor craft ipr
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Was the oil changed after all the work was done?