Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Do we need a special tool to get the damper off?

Customer Question
do we need a special tool to get the damper off?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help

What year, model and engine size is you Ford?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ford sport trac 2005 4.0 engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The front crank seal was leaking alittle bit. new seal. need to get to it
Ford Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Different expert here.

Yes, you do need a puller to remove the crankshaft damper. The Ford part number is ***** (see attached graphic) - you might be able to borrow a similar tool from any of the major auto parts retailers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are no threaded holes, two holes, no threads. in front face of damper
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would it be helpful to talk to husband on phone?

In that case, the tool I previously indicated is the correct one. See attached instructions on how to remove the damper with that tool - pay special attention to the damper bolt setting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is checking to see if he has the bolts

What bolts? The puller tool comes complete with all the necessary bolts...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe i should say he went off muttering - I thought I heard bolts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is someone else going to be on?

As experts, we are all independent users on the site, not agents or employees. Who and when someone is on depends on the hours he/she can or wants to put in. If you need help before I can log in tomorrow and don't want to wait for me, just tell Customer Service you'd like another expert and they'll reopen the question.

Best Regards.

I had the opportunity to log in early today. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer