Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2004 explorer xlt rumbles at 60-65 mph. Feels like rear

Customer Question
My 2004 explorer xlt rumbles...
My 2004 explorer xlt rumbles at 60-65mph. Feels like rear end shaking. The tires have plenty of tread. What is the problem at only 74kmiles? Yes, low mileage.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2004 explorer xlt rear end shakes at around 60-65mph. Tires have plenty of tread. What is the problem at 74k miles?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it depends on the problem and solution.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Engine and Catalytic converter went out and recently replaced. Only 74k miles. Will there be any Ford assistance with these problems at low mileage?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 74k miles 4.0 v6
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago
Kevin Bourcier

hello . have you tried rotating your tires ? Front to rear , rear to front to see if that makes any change ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tires rotated, alignment, tranny, differential,etc. Everything many times. what is another possibility?
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

yes . I would suggest checking your rear drive shaft and U-joints .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As i wrote before, everything was checked having to do with the rear, etc. even the transmission, cat converter, and engine, One guy wants to know cuz he believes he's that good but can't figure this. I think it's an ego thing and professional pride at not wanting to be 'defeated" by a car problem. Finally they all have sent me to the internet. It seems this has no real solution but go back to Ford cuz this must be a deep, deep, problem with manufacturing or something secret. I hope they admit it and fix/replace/refund/ re-purchase because this is junk. Do you have any more suggestions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also checked for loose pipes and undercarriage while replacing the cat converter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checking the converter.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

I am quite certain that your issue is a bent or out of balance driveshaft

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks !

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

hello ! Thank You for using Just Answer . It has been my pleasure to be able to offer my assistance to you .

Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier