Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 95 mustang gt 5.0 HO. This car is used only at the

Customer Question
drag strip. It has open...
I have a 95 mustang gt 5.0 HO. This car is used only at the drag strip. It has open exhaust a performance intake and a 70 mm throttle body and a billet distributor. new ignition module and coil since the problem began. I also had it dyno tuned and a chip installed 2 years ago. It is stock other than that. the issue that I have been fighting is a miss that goes from cylinder to cylinder. I know this because I have had my timing light on each cylinder and it will stop flashing and then start again. It is a sudden drop in rpm when it occurs. I have had a meter on the positive side of the coil and it never looses 12 v.All new plugs also gapped correct. Compression is a little low on 2 cylinder but no different than it was a year ago when it ran great. .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/27/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you are able to watch the cylinders drop out at the spark plugs and your not loosing it out of the coil then I would suspect the problem has to be with the distributor pick up if your sure there are no issues with the cap and rotor. If you can I would start with swapping out the distributor and see if that solves the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ron
Early on when this issue started And I was talking to matt from just answer about it I did reinstall the oem distributor and had the same issue. it is possible that both distributors have the same problem But they are not cheap.It seems to me that when it happens all cylinders are affected not just one or two.the cap and rotor are new. the engine dose'not do it all the time but I have noticed a power loss on the track.

It would sure be odd for both distributors to be bad, what happens to the timing when this occurs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my light stops flashing so I dont know
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked all connections on the wiring harness and opened the lom to inspect the wires and found nothing wrong.

If you unplug the SPOUT connector dose it change any symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it does what it is designed to do and allows me to time it.

Yes but I am asking if you unplug it , do you still get the misfire. Also , what is your base timing set at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The missfire Is not as bad but still there it is set at 12 degrees

Base timing calls for 10 BTDC. Just for the hell of it bump you timing back 2 degrees to 10 and see if there is any change.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been there and tried that with no help it runs best at 12. At 10 it will stall when the spout is put back.

That seems a bit odd, its should run fine at 10.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I connect the alternator it also gets a lot worse.

What is the output voltage at the battery with the alternator plugged it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
13.5

That should be fine and not affect the way the engine runs at all.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree that it should be fine but when the alternator is in play the car sputters real bad. for some reason I loose fire to the plugs.

Have you checked to make sure the engine is properly grounded?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is grounded more than it was orignaly. direct from the battery to the block and then to the chassy with # ***** battery cable

Well at this point Im out of ideas, If you would like, I can open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something new to add.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
open it up
Thanks for listening

Sure thing, doing so now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ron I haven't heard from anyone yet. I am going to replace the electronics inside the distributor and see what happens.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ron I change the pip inside the distributor and it helped because I don't lose fire like it was. it still wants to miss when the alternator is in play.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not heard from any one else yet.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician