Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I'm not sure what the issue is . I replaced the starter and

Customer Question
I'm not sure what the...
I'm not sure what the issue is . I replaced the starter and the solenoid on the fender and the starter keeps cranking when I hook the battery up.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: 39,000 and it wont stop turning
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: as I said when you hook up the battery the starter engages with the key off and theres a big spark when I do hook up the battery. new starter and solenoid
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: don't have much choice. Its sitting in my back yard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: its an oldie but goodie. a 1984 Ford F700 with a 370 cu. in engine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
I am electrical specialist and I will try to help. The starter solenoid is probably being pulled electrically. You need to make sure the battery cable is on one of the large terminals on the starter solenoid, and the cable to the starter is on the other large terminal of the starter solenoid. If there are any small wires that have the large ring terminals on them where the go on the large terminals of the starter solenoid, they MUST go on the large terminal that the battery cable attaches to, and NOT the large terminal that the cable to the starter wire attaches to. Set it up like that and temporarily remove any the small wires from both small terminals, and see if it still cranks when the battery is hooked up. If that stops the problem go through all of the small wires on the two small terminals. Then find the one wire that is hot with the ignition in the crank/start position. That wire goes on the small S terminal of the solenoid. Any other small wires that go on a small terminal go on the small I terminal right beside the S terminal. Go over all of that and let me know if you have any questions, if you do I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day and thanks for using Just Answer.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician