Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 1986 f150 with a 301 v8 engine and RTS T170 manual

Customer Question

I have a 1986 f150 with a 301 v8 engine and RTS T170 manual transmission. The transmission was recently reconstructed and is been working perfect since 3 months ago. Now the transmission won't stay in 2nd gear when I let the gas off. There's no strange noises and that's the only gear that spits out and only when I let the gas off. Someone told me that is because the fluid is cheap.
JA: How many miles on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: yes, its original with 175,000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I will fix it myself if the solution is simple
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Typically when a manual transmission pops out of gear it is caused by one of two things:

The shifter isn't adjusted correctly and it allows the transmission to not fully go into the gear and therefore easily pop out.

Or

There is a detent or synchro inside the transmission that is not installed correctly allowing the transmission to pop out of gear.

My bet is on the detent or synchro being the problem and the transmission will need to be pulled apart to see for sure.

The easiest thing you can do at this point is check the fluid level. Occasionally low fluid will allow it to slip out of gear but that normally only happens in the highest gear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see. But in this case that the transmission was fully repaired and it was perfectly working three months ago. I notice that the shift forks looks worn and the fluid used is not a good quality. Do you think that could be a problem.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

What type of fluid was used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autozone Brand w90
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
80w90
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 quarts
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

That fluid should be fine. This gearbox uses either 80w90 or SAE90. I suppose you could try replacing the fluid with SAE90 and see if it makes a difference.

If it doesn't then the problem has to be internal. It's possible that something wasn't torqued correctly in the rebuilt and it took until now to loosen up and fall out of place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank's
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know how it goes if you end up changing out the fluid.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

Let me know if you need additional information.