Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Do you happen to have the ignition wiring diagram 85 Ford

Customer Question
Do you happen to have...
Do you happen to have the ignition wiring diagram for an 85 Ford F150? I am trying to completely bypass the ignition switch and circuit (problem with a clutch interlock or some other unknown problem in the circuit).
I would like to use a relay and push button (momentary on switch) along with a kill switch and an accessory 1 and 2 switch.
I need to know which wires from the ignition loom are for the ignition, accessory 1, and accessory 2.
As for the relay, I have an idea of how to wire up the relay but I also was wondering if I could wire it up on the ground side of the circuit. I can make a little diagram of what I was thinking if that would help.
Thanks for any help you can give me, Evan!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/24/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago
Kevin Bourcier

hello how are you ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm doing pretty well, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this wiring. How about yourself?
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

I am good . let me get that diagram for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds good. Also, you wouldn't happen to know how to get wire the relay with the switch on the ground side would you? I fell like it would be better that way with less amps going on the switch.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

what type of relay do you have ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see what I am looking for in the diagram. I am looking for the wires that connect to the ignition switch under the steering column.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

they are there at the top of the diagram where it says " ignition switch .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a 30 amp bosch type 4 pin. In the drawing I attached I have the start button setup on the hot side with power from the fuse box coming in. I think I'd rather have the button in between the ground I'm just not sure exactly how to wire that up.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

yes . In the diagram I sent you the Red/Blue wire goes out to your solenoid to activate the solenoid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm completely bypassing that in my wiring. Currently the 87 pin goes to the little terminal on the solenoid (its a mini-starter without the firewall mounted solenoid. The solenoid is now on the starter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A little backstory may be necessary to explain: I have always had starting issues. Sometimes the truck would turn-over but never really sounded strong and most of the time it wouldn't start without moving the flywheel first. After going through every conceivable possibility including all new wiring, multiple starters (high torque), etc., I have come to the conclusion that it is likely the result of a clutch interlock switch (it is a 4 speed manual). I cannot find where the clutch interlock is supposed to be so I have just decided to bypass the system. Also, I have used on of those mechanics hand-held under hood starter switches which basically ran a line directly from battery positive to the little signal switch to trigger the solenoid and it cranks right up and sounds better than ever before. It is clear it wasn't getting all of the voltage it was meant to until then.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

yes . so I am not understanding why you want the ignition wiring diagram . That is what I have given you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want it so I can bypass the normal keyed starter switch. I would like to use a kill switch, push-button starter switch, ignition switch, and an accessory switch to wire the normal wires up to a switch panel I bought and just completely render the stock ignition switch useless.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mainly I wanted to know which wires are for the ignition and accessories.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
then how to wire everything up. Does what I attached look like it would work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The panel looks like this from left to right: the kill switch, the starter push button, ignition power switch, accessory power switch. The truck is carbureted and has a mechanical fuel pump so I think the only thing the ignition wire does is send power to the ignition coil. It has a points distributor as well, no ECU.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

yes . the diagram I sent you shows the wire colors for everything you need and the OEM has your power supply you need , ignition 1 and accessory wires

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

is there anything more that I can do for you ?

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

thanks !

Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier