James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I'm wiring electric fans on a 2000 Ford Expedition and would

Customer Question

I'm wiring electric fans on a 2000 Ford Expedition and would like to connect the "hot wire" for the relay to a switched circuit inside the engine compartment. Can you point me to one that would be easy to connect to?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, when you want switched are you wanting the fan to run anytime the engine is on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we want it so there is power to the fans only when the engine is running. We don't want the fans to be able to turn on when the engine is off. The instructions originally said to attach this wire to the ignition switch but we want something that is accessible within the engine bay and does not require entering the cab.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
do you have the 4.6 or the 5.4L
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4L and if it helps, its an Eddie Bauer
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
do you have a test light by chance? The diagram shows that all fuses under the hood are hot at all times?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the wiring diagram. That said, I'm still not sure of the easiest and/or best place to connect. It would be very good if there is a post I can just connect on to. Otherwise, if I'm connecting to the fuze box, what's the best circuit to use and the best way to connect in. There are 50 wires running into the bottom of the box...not easy to splice into.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I worked out a solution and don't require any further assistance. Went into the passenger compartment and got a good wire to connect there. Thanks for the assistance but I wasn't able to positively identify a suitable connection in the engine bay.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Going to the passenger compartment is what I was going to suggest since all fuses under the hood are hot at all times. Glad you found a spot.