Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2002 Ford F250 7.3L diesel. Have had lots of

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Ford...
I have a 2002 Ford F250 7.3L diesel. Have had lots of problems with it dying all the time when fully warmed up and at idle. Check engine light comes on occasionally, but then goes off. No codes show up on analyzer, even when check engine light is on. Took to a Ford dealership, and they replaced the IDM (ouch $$$$). Still same problem. They also noted that the voltage was high on the manifold intake air heater, the injector control pressure was low, and the exhaust pressure control valve showed malfunction. Before I bought the truck in Oct 2015, the previous owner had the high pressure fuel pump and turbo rebuilt, along with stock exhaust replaced with 4" exhaust pipe from turbo all the way back (no muffler), and aftermarket cold air intake and filter installed. I recently replaced the cam position sensor, removed and cleaned the fuel tank (no apparent problems in fuel tank), replaced the fuel pick up cone inside the tank that was broken, installed a new inline low pressure fuel pump, and installed a 30" muffler. Still same problem. PCM has an aftermarket chip installed by previous owner but not hooked up. I plan to take out the chip to see if that will help. Other plans as needed would be to check/replace fuel pressure regulator, fuel temperature sensor, fuel pressure sensor, exhaust back pressure sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, engine oil temperature sensor, and engine coolant sensor. Got any other ideas? Thanks.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you had the fuel pressure tested recently?
Customer: 160K. Recently replaced the low pressure fuel pump, but did not check pressure.
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: All info in original message.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: See original message.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
James, Ford Technician
Hello, if you unplug the icp sensor is there oil in the connector?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't done that yet. Will let you know.

sounds good

James, Ford Technician