Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

My ford five hundred2006 will not move into drive or reverse JA:

Customer Question

hi my ford five hundred2006 will not move into drive or reverse
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: what could be the problem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: looking for transmission stick couldnt find
JA: Transmission issues can be tricky. Fortunately, the mechanics are real masters, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best one for the job. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: have not tried anything else came online to find out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings, how many miles does the vehicle have? is the check engine light on? have you had any transmission performance issues before this? do you know what trans you have, CVT or AISIN? if you have the vin# ***** can check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
169K i think checking now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1FAFP23116G102130 ; i just got the car it was a repo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just got it the gas line was cut as it wouldnt roll over to start we fix that finally got it to start then it wouldnt go in gear
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
If you have a CVT , common option transmission. They are known to lose drive from internal seals failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to fix
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
the input shaft seal fails and pressure is lost, common with higher mileage vehicles.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
transmission needs to me removed and disassembled. very difficult job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
the subframe needs to be removed and engine supported or the engine trans and subframe needs to be dropped/removed for access to the trans. This is the reason many people sell these vehicle with high mileage.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
not many mechanics even at the dealer want to attempt to fix these transmissions because of the possible complications.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
these transmissions have filters and they should be changed with the fluid, many people do not know this.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
These vehicles also have instrument cluster issues that can cause trans shift issues, that is why I asked about check engine light .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh boy so this car is bad investmennt then?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
you might have some stored trouble codes that would tell us more. This vehicle with High mileage is a big gamble
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you need to know about the check eng light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so sound like i need a transmission?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
I had one that needed a new cluster, several CODES in the PCM and it effected the trans shifting.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
it does sound like the trans is gone. It would be good to get the vehicle checked for codes but usually if you have no forward or reverse a major seal or parts has failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so how do i fix it because you are saying not even dealers fix this problem
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
my 500 was a 2006 and the cluster fixed the issue. 450$ for the cluster. I did change the fluid but it had 114k, I sold it before the CVT had any issues.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Look for a trans shop or dealer that will attempt to to fix, get a price first. The cost of repair will probably be more than the value of the vehicle. I am sorry to give you the bad news. These transmissions can go for 4k.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Many dealers will only attempt to fix these CVT transmissions if they are under extended warranty. even then they try to cost cap them so the customer gets a new trans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the infromation
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
to be sure we need to check for trouble codes, take a look at the fluid. Let me know if there are any leaks or fluid spots under the vehicle. Dip stick is under the air filter assembly. It does take special fluid.you are welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of special fluid
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Ford makes their own CVT fluid(CFT-30 ) but you can get other brands of CVT fluid. It is not the same as typical trans fluid. Manufacturers do make their own specific trans fluid and in many cases if you use the wrong fluid it will damage the trans.