Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I was cleaning the battery terminals on my 2005 ford explorer,

Customer Question

i was cleaning the battery terminals on my 2005 ford explorer, and now the anti theft system keeps going off and i can't start the truck
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's pretty much it for now. i'm trying to find some information on how to either reset the system so the alarm doesn't go off and i can start the truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: waiting 15 minutes and attempted to start the truck...alarm went off and can't start the truck
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: nothing special, completely stock
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. With the key in the run position, is the theft light flashing rapid?Is there an aftermarket alarm on the vehicle in addition to the OEM PATS system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know about the theft light, i'll check that a little later this morning when the neighbors go to work. No, the is no aftermarket equipment on the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway. I solved the problem myself. I disconnected the negative battery terminal waited 15 minutes, turned the ignition key to the run position and then re-connected the negative terminal. So far, so good. No honking, flashing lights, and the truck started as normal.
Glad you got it resolved.