Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Pearl, JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, JA: Sometimes things that...
Hello Pearl,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have A 2012,F150 4WD Lariat that has a recurring humming or grinding noise when I drive it down the road. It doesn't happen all the time and is really evident after I brake. So its prevalent before breaking and gets magnified after I break. Just have 57,000 mile son it.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No but the dealer where I got it was clueless and couldn't fix it after three tries. Fortunately I had a similar problem still under warranty in 01/15 Since then everything was fine but its occurring again more pronounced than before, Previously they changed the actuator assembly and HUE ASY-Wheel. Is this the same problem again. Any chance this a warranty issue? Thank you for any help you can provide when I am talking to the dealer.
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: that's it. thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/16/2016
Ford Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Joshua Haynes
Hi, my name is ***** ***** i will assist you.
Ford Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
When you turn, does this noise change at all? Also, I noticed you mentioned that it doesn't happen all the time; is there any type of pattern that it seems to follow such as speed or temperature that may make it worse or more likely to occur?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No pattern and it doesn't happen on turns. at first I thought it was a bearing but its not constant. its prevalent from 0-50
Ford Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
I agree on the bearing assessment, but I have seen wheel bearings act in an incomprehensible way in the past, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Do you know if the dealership has checked the front differential?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't think so.
Ford Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
My suggestion, would be to have the dealership check the clutches in the front differential, as they can cause an intermittent, rumbling type noise that is consistent with your complaint. I also would have them look into the wheel bearing assemblies in the front again to make sure they are still ok after having been replaced already. You can suggest the use of a noise diagnostic tool known as a "chassis ear". Mentioning these parts and this tool by name will at the very least let them know that you have done some research on your problem and will not go away quietly without being helped (which may cause them to try a little harder to find your problem). My last suggestion would involve trying to take it to another dealership if possible; it sounds like the first one may not have the best technicians. However, if you give them the impression that you will keep coming until your problem is fixed (which you should!) then they may have a more skilled mechanic look at the truck. I hope this info helps!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thank you. I will check it pout.
Ford Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Good luck! Please don't forget to leave a positive rating...
Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes