Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2000 f250 super duty no brake lights, turn signals or hazards JA:

Customer Question
2000 f250 super duty no...
2000 f250 super duty no brake lights, turn signals or hazards
JA: Working brake lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've ;checked all the fuses and replaced the multifunction switch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the multifuction switch and checked all the fuses
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/15/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! You mentioned the fuses and the multi-function switch, but not the flasher itself. Was it checked? If so, then all that you can do from this point is go through the system wire by wire. I can provide the wiring diagram if needed. If it wasn't checked and you can;t locate it, it is on the right side of the driver behind where the brake controller is. You will have to take the dash trim and the lower part of the dash apart to get to it. Let me know if you need info for that as well.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it behind the fuse panel or farther to the right behind the cup holder?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I found it. Is it the blue one or the black one, and how do I test it.......also, what does the flasher have to do with the brake lights?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I got called to the field. I'm the only electrician working in the shop today and I got super busy for a bit. The blue one is the accessory delay relay. The black is the flasher. To test, just swap it. The flasher is less than $10. That or use a relay tester if you have one. most don't so just swapping it always works. For loss of power, check the pin for 84 and see if there is a constant power when pressing the brakes or turning the turn signal on. The other pins should be ground. 84a will light up when the other turn signal is on or you press the brake pedal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. I changed both black relays and nothing has changed. I checked pin 44, light blue wire form the stop switch, and when I step on the brake I get power.
What about on the brake pedal position switch? You have power going to it and out of it just fine? CLICK HERE for the diagram for the main power flow. It goes from junction box to switch to lights. Other side is junction box to flasher to multiswitch to lights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's what I got at the pedal:
When plugged in Light blue and Light green and light green/red have power.
Not plugged in Lt green/red and lught blue have power
Plugged in, press on pedal red/green has power
Pink never has power.
Pink is ground. When you press the pedal, it should light up. If it isn;t lighting up, there is an issue with the switch. It isn't grounding in the switch or there is an issue in the ground wire. Connect the black onto a power source and see if the ground gives a 12 volt reading with the multimeter. If using a test light, clamp on a power source and then probe the pink wire. If it isn;t lighting up, the issue is in that wire not grounding. If it lights up, then the switch at the pedal is bad.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I hooked the test light to power and probed the pink wire and it lit up. I guess that means the switch at the brake pedal is bad? I can't confirm that until tomorrow because my local parts store closed at 7. But what I don't understand is how and why would that effect the hazard and turn signals?
Everything grounds through that switch is why. The multifunction and the brake lamps all work through the same ground.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess not as easy as the old days......I'll let you know tomorrow what happens
Please do let me know.Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, bad news.....I replaced the stop switch, and it didn't heal. In fact, I retested the pink ground wire, and it still lights the test light.
Hmmm... I'm going to have to get back into the diagram right quick and give all the spots to check. be right back.
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The tech that was helping has opted out, would you like me to help?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please....he didn't solve my problem. I have a 2000 F250 Super duty. I have no turn signals, hazard lights or brake lights. The 3rd brake light on the cab doesn't work either. I have changed the multi function switch, the stop switch, and the 2 flasher relays and nothing has helped.
Okay, below are 2 files for how Ford says to diagnose this and a wire diagram.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/00Elight.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/00testH.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/00testK.pdfMy way, testing the brake lights first. At the brake switch is the light green/red wire powered?When the brakes are applied is the light green wire then powered at the brake switch and the multifunction switch? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the brake switch, the light green/red wire is powered, and the light green is powered at the multi function switch, I'll have to confirm tomorrow that it is lit when the brakes are applied. Last time I tested, it did have power, but I don't remember if it was when the brakes were applied or not.
Thanks, ***** ***** results wiring looks to blame. I will wait for your response tomorrow.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I confirm. Lt Grn/red has power at the brake switch and Light Green has power at both the brake switch and multi function switch when the brake is applied.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ARE YOU THERE?
Thanks, ***** ***** remove the 3rd brake light and see if the light green wire there is powered when braking indicating a blown bulb or bad ground. If there is no power there, then we need to check a connector behind the dash. At the multifunction switch are wires light green/orange and orange/light blue powered when braking? Are fuses 1 and 3 under the hood powered when braking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try everything when I get home from work tomorrow.
Super
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I'm back. The 3rd brake light did have a bad bulb. Now it's ok. On the multi function switch, NO power to either the Lt Grn/OR or Lt BLue when brakes applied. Fuse 1 and 3 both have power on one side, and stays power on one side when brake applied.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Moose are you there?
One issue down.I do not know how you got no power on the 2 wires at the multifunction switch with the brakes applied but you did at the 2 fuses on down the circuit. Maybe you were not making good connection there, so we will just move on to a circuit issue past the fuses. Locate connector 1045 below the brake master cylinder. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/1045.png See if those same 2 wire colors are powered when braking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did retest the 2 wires on the switch just to be sure, and yes neither one has power when the brake is applied. Can you tell me the location of the 1045 connector? Is it one of the big ones on the firewall.....top or bottom. Or is it one of the 4 (1 grey 3 black) below. If so, which one. Thanks Moose
Locate connector 1045 below the brake master cylinder. You will have to compare the pin chart I sent showing the wire colors to confirm your on the correct connector. The fuses we tested prior are powered by the brake signal flowing through the brake switch. Are you sure those fuses are only powered when the brakes are applied? Based on your recent recheck of the wire testing at the M switch, those fuses should not be powered and indicate your new M switch is bad.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuses have power all the time, not just when the brake is applied.
Stop for now so I can look at the wire diagram.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/00fuse.pngAre you sure your on the correct fuses 1 and 3 under the hood? For those to be powered all the time would mean the rear brake lights would be on all the time, and it would be extremely odd for a short in the trailer harness to reverse power these fuses. This is why your wire testing at the M switch makes no sense. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/Mswitch.png
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just double checked the switch wires and the fuses. This has got me fried. I am sorry but I was testing the cab fuses. The under the hood fuses 1 & 3 (7.5 amp) DO NOT light when the pedal is pressed. The OR/GRN and OR/Lt Bl still do not get power. I hop I didnt drive you nuts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my email said you sent an answer 2 minutes ago, but there;s nothing here.
Ca you confirm once again there is brake signal power to the M switch. If there is then that M switch is bad and needs to be replaced.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion already and ordered another one and started the return process. Amazon will deliver tomorrow. Ill let you know what happens.
Super
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Moose. Sorry to say I'm back, and not with good news. Amazon delivered the new switch, and still no good. I did all the tests that led you to conclude the first switch was defective, and the results are the same. So, I figured maybe a $36 switch is crap, and went out a bought a BWD for $100, and still nothing works! HELP!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/m1switch.png
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Problem solved.......I can't believe it turned out to be the flasher.
Glad you got it resolved, although the flasher is not used for the brake lights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had already changed the brake switch......maybe the combination of the 2 was the cure.
There had to be an issue with the testing. You can remove the flasher relay and the brake lights will still work. I was tying to get the brake lights all working prior to getting on the turn signals. Glad its now fixed. You can rate the post to close it out.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician