Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

If you could point me in the right direction without me having

Customer Question
to get even more involved...
if you could point me in the right direction without me having to get even more involved than I already am, it would be great. Problem is this. The signal fuse keeps blowing. The hazards alway work with or without fuse. I replaced steering column harness thinking it was the culprit. Still same problem. I have removed the fuse panel and looked to see if the panel was grounding out, does not have any indications of grounding out. Here is the real kicker, the fuse blows when the signals are NOT on, I can sit in the driveway and they will work for an hour on either side, but start driving down the road you will hear the distinct pop of the fuse. This means in my little world that the fuse is grounding out on the circuit that is always hot hence the blowing fuse. Unless I am not correctly understanding something, there is a hot wire I am missing going somewhere, I just dont want to have to dismantle the whole dash and start doing the wire trace to only find it is in a switch that I didn
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: know about
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 1991 f150 lariat xlt 4x4 standard cab 4.9
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/10/2016
Ford Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
Hello Im Chris and I will assist you
Ford Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
disconnect your blinker switch, then drive, if fuse doesnt blow you got it.
Ford Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
i think your switch is bad. Is it a multifunction switch in a 1991 so long I cant remember
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which switch would that be? This is a tilt steering that from my gathering is straight to the harness,
Ford Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
the blinker switch
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
obviously im an idiot. so, where would i disconnect the "blinker switch" at? just repeating the blinker switch does not solve my problem. would this be attached to the fuse panel, the harness in the steering column, or the block of switches next to the diagnostic port in the engine compartment, the ignition switch on the lower steering column, or some other location on my truck since im the idiot.
Ford Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
Im going to opt out and let someone else help you with this problem. Maybe they can assist you better. Good luck.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician