Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It has power when trying to start it but won't turn over. No

Customer Question
sound. Can't figure out why. JA...
It has power when trying to start it but won't turn over. No sound. Can't figure out why.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Sitting for couple years. Last year replace transmission spark plugs and oil change. Bought a new battery. Nothing. It lights up radio goes on but won't start. Please help. On island.
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. On island. Cost lots to tow it or get someone to look at it. They can't figure it out.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looked at starter. They said it was fine. But not 100 percent sure.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: It's 2006 Ford free star
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/9/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
It would help if you mentioned what year, model, engine, transmission was in this.Another thing, can you feel or hear if the starter relay clicks when you turn the key to start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2006 Ford free star. Motor is the bigger battery. Can't remember the number. 400 something motor. And no click when outside of van. But when trying to start it can hear a click.
A 400 cid engine in a freestar, really? I only see it having a v6 3.9l or a 4.2l.Anyhow, do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light and is this an auto or manual trans?
If you give me the 8th digit of the vehicle vin number under the windshield I'll know which engine came in it.
Check or replace the fuse #4 in the BUSSED ELECTRICAL CENTER AT LEFT SIDE OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT.
By the way, that is where the starter relay is also, so feel if that relay does click when you turn the key to start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok the manual and van isn't near me. Will text later. Thanks.
I would be sure to take a 30a with you.
This should be the diagram of the starting circuit,If it's a long trip, I would suggest maybe even purchasing and taking with you a new starter relay, just incase the fuse is ok. If that starter relay doesn't click, be sure to check those other fuses, too.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes. A guy checked the fuses and said it was fine. But he thinks it's an electrical problem. Hoping it won't start. He checked out couple things. But can't hear anything that leads to what it would'
Be.
Take a new starter relay with you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If someone has a brain machine would that figure out what's wrong with it
You mean a scan tool or code reader? It could, but I think a simple $5 12 volt test light could test it.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician