Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

Pearl, I'm Mike. My '97 f150 wont start. All indication

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm Mike. My '97 f150 wont start. All indications I have positive and negative cables that need replacing. My questions is it possible to jump start truck by passing the the battery?
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I agree with electrical???We bought it brand new in 1996. Best truck ever 250000 miles on it so it could be a night mare. I'm thinkink of having it towed into my mechanic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes and no depends I wont mess with the starter...
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: it seems to be a drain on battery so I've been monitoring it with once a week on battery charger seems to be good for a f5 6 days and then she wont start battery was checked and fully charged replaced the alternator last month
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..The engine could be started by hooking 12v to the positive post on the starter and ground to any metal on the engine. You would need a fairly thick wire, (jumper cable with a small alligator clip on it) and then turn the key as normal to get it to run..As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.…..Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.….The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.……If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.…Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,. Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.