Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I lost the only key to my 99 mercury cougar JA: Sometimes

Customer Question
I lost the only key...
I lost the only key to my 99 mercury cougar
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I need a new key for my car
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I talked to a dealership but they don't have the code to make a new key
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: It has an anti theft system for they key
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Your dealer told you correct, they only keep key codes on file for 10 years. Look in the owners manual packet, for a white tag about the size of a 1X1" that is the tag that came with he car when new and its the code.So the next option is to follow these steps. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/ignition.pdf When you come to step 3 you will have to drill out this pin. Once drilled out, remove the ignition lock cylinder. A lock smith can take apart and look at the tumbler numbers and get you the key code. Then purchase a Ford lock cylinder that you build and have them cut 2 chip keys to match the code. Then build the new cylinder and test the keys. If all is good then install the cylinder and call a mobile locksmith to come to your home and program both keys to your car. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So I have to get the code from the Manuel packet and then I have to get a lock smith to get the code from the ignition area?
You have to do one or the other. Odds are that tag is not there in the owners packet. For some reason new car owners tear it off the keys and throw it away or they remove the duplicate from the packet and throw it away.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician