Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

My brake lights are staying on while my headlights were on JA:

Customer Question

my brake lights are staying on while my headlights were on
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's it my brake lights work fine when headlights are off but when headlights are on brake lights stay on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced all bulbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,Ok, first, I need to know the year, make and model of your vehicle Second, when you turn the vehicle off and take the key out, are the brake lights staying on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 ford focusno when the car is turned off they go off
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,I am sorry but I will need to opt out and see if another expert can help you. I have the headlamp wiring schematics but not the brake lamp one so I cannot determine the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I guess I'm still gonna pay even though you couldn't help me?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I can try to assist. Different expert here. Can I ask did this issue happen after a bulb was replaced ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It nothing had been replaced
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so do all 3 brake lights come on when the parking lights are turned on or strictly when the headlights are on ? Can you double check and verify for me ?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
What can happen is a dual filament bulb can lose tension and turn and cause the element to backfeed power. So if all three brake lights come on then I ask that you remove the left and right bulbs and then try and again with them out and see if the 3rd brake light comes on. If it does then we know we have a wiring issue and not a simple bulb issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all three come on also when the parking lights are on. Also when all lights are off when you press the brakes the parking lights come on
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that tells me we have a shorted wire or a bulb issue. Can you try the bulb test like I suggested ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes give me just a minute
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
No worries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the window light stays on
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok good. For the most part lol. Let me see if I can pull up a diagram. Give me a few
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thx
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
pull fuse 59 in the fuse box under the dash and see if the lights still function the same.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
then we will try fuse 42
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when I take 59 out the brake lights work correct! The parking lights still come on when pressing the brake. But brakes lights do work correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem has been going on for about a year! But last week I did have a headlight that went out we replaced it but it is still not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When pulling 42 they do brake lights do not work at all
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so 59 is for the headlight switch. 42 is strictly for the brake lights. You have a shorted wire feeding the brake light circuit. you will have to have the short located. This may or may not be easy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it will not come out of park
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
with the fuse out it will not since the shift lock has to see the brake light switch to operate. i will opt out and see if another expert can chime in, sorry for my delays.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here. Put all the fuses back in and this time unhook the brake light switch, turn on the headlights and with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light test in the harness for voltage with the key off. let me know if there is any voltage on either connection in the harness socket plug.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
This should be the wiring diagram,
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.