sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

93 f150 no horn or cruis but can take test lite and ground

Customer Question

93 f150 no horn or cruis but can take test lite and ground it like checking fuses and use it for ground on the horn switch and it works fine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: no horn or cruse but they both are on the sterring wheel im thinking its a ground issue but dont know where the ground is
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: im a mech for a job
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: just the test lite to see if i had power and to check the fuses for the cruse but then thats how i found that if i use the test lite on the ground side it lites up and the horn works
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. If you don't have any horn or cruise control, then most likely the problem is the clock spring, or contact reel. The horn and cruise function is controlled through a winding behind the steering wheel called the clock spring. If both go out, it's more evidence that this component has failed. it turns slightly everytime you turn the steering wheel. And it's probably original and they don't last forever. So I would replace it and I believe that will fix your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well t think all that is good cause I was under the dash checking for power and found by my dum luck that I could use the test lite as a ground and then the horn worked where the wires come out of steering colum under the dash
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
I believe your grounding it PRE-Clock spring though. if your down where the wires coming out of the steering column.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the steering wheel there is 5 wires but 4 of them are tied out in pares and then there is a single for a total for three wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is where it would work at
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
I follow you, I just had the same exact problem on a 94 E150, no cruise, no horn, and a clockspring fixed it. I can't say for sure , but I believe it to be that. You would have to pull the steering wheel and check continuity through the clockspring to know for sure.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Let me opt out in case another expert has another suggestion though. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The three spring pins under the steering wheel ?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Different expert here.Horn switch might not be grounding the relay through the steering column. To check wiring, remove steering wheel horn pad as shown below:LESS AIRBAG1. Disconnect battery ground cable.2. Remove one retaining screw from underside of each steering wheel spoke, then lifthorn switch assembly from steering wheel.3. Disconnect horn switch electrical wires.4. On models equipped with speed control, inspect the ``J'' clip ground wire terminal comingout of hole in steering wheel. Repair as necessary5. Reverse procedure to install.Way past my log-off time. I'll be back tomorrow from 2-8 PM AST. I will check on your progress then.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pics of what horn button / cruse looks like and what's under it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under dash I can use test lite as ground and push horn button and it works
I really wish I could stay and help more but I must log off. I'll opt out so others may help you. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle you question back to me and I won't be here to answer.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason horn started working but still no cruse
Do you have access to a scan tool or code reader?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and no I don't have a clock spring to run power to the buttons it's three little spring loaded brass things on the bottom of steering wheel
Are any fault codes currently setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a negative and check engine lite does work
Do you have an actual scan tool to monitor data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope just idiot lite
You're not actually using a code reader either then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope the only time chk engine lite comes on is when I start it
A cruise control related issue isn't going to turn the engine light on because it doesn't affect emissions. A code reader or scan tool is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah
Are you able to come up with a scan tool to check for fault codes and monitor data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd have to ask around
Do you have an ohm meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and the cruse suites do pass power and working
Do you mean the switches have been tested and are working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the on/off resume set coast and horn the switches work
How was that determined?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohm meter to test switches
Where was testing done and how?