Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Escape: 2004 Ford escape V6, The car acts like the exhaust

Customer Question
2004 Ford escape V6,...
2004 Ford escape V6, The car acts like the exhaust system is plugged up. for the third time I have had the manifold worked on and the catalytic converter replaced two times. This is expensive!! Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
5/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: Matt C., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Hello, I would like to see if I could assist you with this. Every time you have had the catalytic converter replaced the vehicle returns to running normally?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes for about six months. are there inherit problems with this engine?
There have been no common problems that I have come across for this problem. Give me a moment as I check for any service bulletins for any relating problems.
I am not seeing any service bulletins relating to what you are experiencing. You will have to find the underlying cause for the premature converter failure. Typically this is caused by poor running conditions such as a poor air/fuel mixture. Other common causes would be an internal oil leak or coolant leak that is being burned in the combustion chamber.
Have you noticed any smoke or "odd" odors coming from the exhaust?
Matt C.
Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician