James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford 7.3: I have a 99 7.3 that had an oil leak at the oil cooler

Customer Question

I have a 99 7.3 that had an oil leak at the oil cooler I changed the cooler filled up on fluids then started. It ran fine for maybe five seconds then died and no start . I checked the hoop which was dry do I filled it and waited to see if it stayedfull .it did it cranked a min then started. Ran a bit then died I repeated filling hoop and same thing again run then die. Now I'm over full on oil at dip stick. Do i need to prime my lpop. Or did I miss something during changing the cooler .
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you replace the entire oil cooler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir but it was from a salvage
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
There is an oil pressure regulator on the front side when you remove the oil cooler. If any parts of it fell out while repairing the vehicle you can have this concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What parts could fall out. When I take it back off what should I be looking for.are these parts something that can be replaced and or purchased ? Or maybe the regulator itself.does come out behind the cooler ?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can find a photo? Did you change the oil after the work was done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes new oil and filter. And coolant
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I can't find an actual photo of the oil pressure regulator but I am still looking? The vehicle ran fine before correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ran fine
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a way to manually test low pressure oil before removing the oil cooler again?