George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Ford focus: I have the same issue and tried to hold the door

Customer Question

I have the same issue and tried to hold the door handle and pull the latch and it did not work.
When I close the door it falls dead and does not close. The little black plastic arm that is suppose to roll up on the striker is not locking into place closed. Any suggestions.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Place the tip of a pen or a screwdriver behind the plastic coated arm and pull towards the inside of the door while you pull the inside release handle. That should open the arm and allow the door to close normally. Please let me know if you have further questions and if this works for you. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The arm opens and closes fine with a screwdriver. It's just not locking up in the closed position. I can cycle it open and closed no problem.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Can you open it then close the door or does it still bounce? Has anything happened like slamming the door with the arm closed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has happened to cause this. Yes the door still bounces. When I close the door, it will bounce right back open.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
So if you close the arm with the screwdriver you can just pull it back open? Without holding the handles released? The handles have the normal spring to them? If so then the latch needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is what happens.
Where can I pick up a latch? Auto parts store or dealership? Do you have the part number? Thanks.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The dealer is the only source for this latch. Give me a few and I will get the part number
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have the anti theft alarm the number is CP9Z5421813EWithout the alarm it is CP9Z541813A Let me know if you have further questions Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions. If you do not please complete the rating. Thank you'