A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I am getting a p2106 code and don't know what to check I also

Customer Question

I am getting a p2106 code and don't know what to check I also just got a engine run safe mode code
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When running cold it will run fine and once it heats up about 10 minutes into the drive it will run bad and seems like it wants to turn off by shaking and when I take off it acts like it's trying to go but real hesitant to run slow and the mufflers sound as if they are stuffed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I wanted to try to
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I just had a new motor and rebuilt the transmission
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
What year, model and engine size are you working on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004 f150 5.4l
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new engine block and rebuilt the transmission
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ford made two completely different F150s in 2004. Can I have the VIN# ***** the F150 you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1ftpw14504kb48751. New body style
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
How many miles do you have on this 2004 5.4L 3 valve?Why was the motor and transmission replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor was knocking real bad since it was drove with out oil and the shop who installed engine didn't plug the transmission in and drove it and burnt the trans out it has 155k
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You may have clogged catalytic converters. When the problem occurs, loosen the exhaust from the manifolds and see if you get power again. It may be hot, but it is the only way to test. Unless you have an exhaust back pressure gauge installed in and 02 sensor mounting point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you first start cold it drives fine as long as I drive slow but ones I start driving faster and it heats up it will start to act like its misfiring only it's not giving me codes for misfire. And when I drive last night the engine run safe mode came on
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The code P2106 is caused by other components on the engine forcing limited power to the throttle body/engine. The exhaust sounds like the cause of the problem. You may want to have the converters removed and inspected. Clogged exhaust can cause the lack of power concern. If you remove the converters and the substrate material falls out, they will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try it out and if not I will contact you for further steps
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Please keep me informed.