Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Explorer: The brake pedal is spongy. I've replaced

Customer Question
The brake pedal is spongy. I've...
The brake pedal is spongy.
I've replaced all brake pads, front rotors, and a brake fluid flush. I tried doing a brake bleed and the pedal is still spongy. The front pads were really worn down.
Today the wheels locked up--only on acceleration at slow speeds and ABS light turned on.
it's a*****2005 ford explorer. also the "check advance track" warning display comes off and on, along with the 4x4 high and the little car swerving icon coming on for a bit.
The wheels locking up only seems to be when its cold on start up and slow speeds and seems to go away but im afraid to drive it more than a mile now
Where do I start?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
4/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. We are only permitted by the website to help address one concern per post at the price you selected. Which would you like me to assist with, the spongy pedal, brake lock up, warning lights, 4x4?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris,
I just upgraded the acct.Please address all questions but most of most important is the wheels locking up....i'm not sure that it is brake lock up
You upgraded to a subscription account which means you need to open a new post for each concern. On this one I will address the brakes locking up.The brakes will lockup while driving or braking from moisture in the brake fluid that needs to be bleed out, a sticking brake caliper, or an ABS or traction control issue from an incorrect wheel speed sensor reading. Do you know which codes are stored in the ABS module? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will try to get the codes. It only happens after ignition start up and will lock up a few times as im pulling out the parking lot at low speed and never when pressing the brakes. After that there hasn't been a problem but if i shut off the truck as soon as it s turned back on the problem returns. Is it possible to diagnose based on this or do you need the codes?It seems to be electronic ...like you said traction control or ABS. Originally i was thinking wheel bearings but have no idea now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything I can do now to start fixing this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm trying to ask more questions and the site is trying to charge me for this. How do I open up new questions on my subscription plan?
Diagnosing without the codes would result in us needing to make some parts guessing which can get expensive for you.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
so let's take the parts guessing route. To recap the wheels lock up ONLY after ignition on (for a few times) and when the gas pedal is pressed. It won't lock at idle speed or any other time.What steps would you take? What are the most likely culprits?
"What steps would you take?" I can not answer that I ma not a guess tech like many.I feel like the culprit is going to be one of the wheel speed sensors bad or the tone ring they read from is cracked causing an incorrect sensor reading.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician