Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My name is*****'ve got an 87 Ford F-150 with the 302

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** got an 87 Ford F-150 with the 302 and I need to set the initial timing to get it to run I got piston 1 on top top dead center compression and adjusted the distributed to spark tried it and still nothing!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yeah First I replaced the old distributor and the truck ran ok however the timing needed advanced a bit more and the icm module was in the way so I pulled the distributor and moved it a tooth over and then it would not start at all. That's when I decided to start over and I set cylinder 1 on tdc and turned it till it sparked then the truck still would not run
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it wont run with the distributor correctly timed? Did you see wear on the distributor gear or camshaft driven gear? The module shouldn't be in the way to turn to advance/retard unless the timing chain is loose/out of time. Does it sound like the engine has good compression when cranking over? Crank over normally?