Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. Last week the key cylinder just…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. Last week the key cylinder just rotated forward like it was broke. It would not start, or anything. I thought that the lock cylinder may have just broke or quit working, so I ordered a new one with 2 new keys. I easily installed it but have had not luck reprogramming it. I found instructions on the internet on how to reprogram it, but I guess it was not the correct instructions. Now the pats system kicked in it will not do anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Customer:
I'm a broke policeman....I hope I can do it myself...lol

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
4/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** are 2 ways to correct this, one is to tow the vehicle to a Ford dealer and have the 2 new keys progrmmed to the vehicle. The second is to take the new cylinder and keys back and get a Ford lock cylinder, in this Ford kit you will get a completely disassembled lock cylinder, you will rekey the new cylinder to your old keys and the vehicle will run as it used to. There are instructions inside and if you follow step by step you will have no problems.